Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

INst. Books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by maxy, Jun 24, 2004.

1. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    I have played for 2 years now.

I bought B.G. for dummies by patrick ... and bass licks by stephan richter.
    I quit coz after 2 years i was looking for style but these books seem to give more like 2 pgs ok..latin..finish...i mean that doesnt contribute to anything.

I shud just get into like a big blues book right? Coz its style after i am right?

And also...like songs...i know the ear thingy but for now should i get tabs which are correct and dwell on the timings or just get a big book like say led zeppling transribed book. Pls tell me the pro and cons on the long term and all.

Thankx

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I think you're on exactly the right track. Keep doing exactly what you're doing, and hang in there!!!!

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sorry, that was mean.

Dunno squat about style, but listening and learning by ear is not to be underrated. The few times I've looked at tabz, the rhythms were pretty unclear, and even the notes were suspect in some cases.

My mom always said to play what you love, and the way I started was by listening to a LOT of music, including Zeppelin, which I still love (take that , you stodgy old DB farts).

Speaking of DB, that stands for double bass, AKA upright, and you seem to have accidentally found your way into our little snakepit. You might want to do a one-eighty, and head up to the bass guitar forums. You'll be more comfy there.

Now skedaddle, Junior, before you get picked up on the radar.