Instrumental Cable?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Phunky, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    What kind of Instrumental cable should i choose? I got these to choose from at my local store:

Now i don't know what to choose, i want pretty high quality...
  2. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Find some Monster Cables online...

If you absolutely don't want to, I'm thinking Planet Waves from those listed.
  3. I use Planet Waves now because I like the "spring" feature they have but I used ProCo cables for years with no complaints.
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    +1 on the Monster Cables
  5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    From those that you have listed:

Planet Waves.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Or get the most price-worthy with a decent cable and Neutrik plugs.
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

of the listed, Radial is what I'd grab (if it's the Canadian company that makes the DI boxes and tonebone effect pedals)
  8. mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I say use ProCo. Of course, I say that because they make them in my town. They are good cables though. Everyone I know has been using them for years and given them quite a beating, but they still hold up. Also, you may want to check out noiseless cables. They have a tendancy to fall out, but if your jack is on the front, like with most Fenders, it's not a problem. Being able to pull out a cable and not blowing up your amp is a nice feature.
  9. radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Klotz (LaGrange) cables
  10. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I thank my stars for my Neutrik Locking Jack in my bass :)
  11. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    I use Planet Waves and I'm really happy with it.
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I've heard way too many instances from TBers where the planet waves "compression ring" has caused jacks to break off IN your bass, and you can't get it out, then forcing you to break the jack itself.

I'll put in another suggestion for Monsters. Plus, they've got that sweet, sweet warranty.
  13. Honestly, I don't see why everyone swoons over Monster. I absolutely cannot tell the difference. It's not that big of a boost in sound quality.
  14. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    While you may not notice a big sound change (I notice one compared to some cables), the warranty alone is worth it.
  15. I currently build my own cables...So a warranty makes no difference to me. But even when I was buying commercial cables, I never had a problem with them failing enough for me to warrant looking for a warranty.
  16. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    That's cool. I'm not too handy so building my own cable probably isn't going to happen anytime soon. Although, I think that's cool when players do build their own gear. I personally have had problems with at least two cables in the last 2-3 years that both 'died' on me. I finally went Monster because of the warranty and recommendations of others. It might not be for everyone but I'd recommend it if someone is buying their cables.
  17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I choose Monster, not because of any perceptible difference in sound, but SOLELY because if one fails, I can walk into ANY music store that sells Monster, in ANY city, without a receipt, and get an instant free replacement.

Sure, a few other brands have warranties as well, but few are as universally carried as Monster, and its a "no questions asked" warranty.