Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Intel Based Macs are Here!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Jan 10, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Nerd Alert!

They're here. Intel chip based Macs unveiled today...Thoughts?

I'm definitely getting one, anyone else?

Apple.com

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    /<ew/!

Was that the big deal from Apple? I know they skipped any major unveilings at the consumer electronic show.

-Mike

3. This is good, means sooner rather than later people will be able to make a computer then have mac as a choice

Ive heard there are cracked versions of the intel version of the mac software out that will work on normal intel based PCs, but i dont know if its true

4. yup, just saw it myself. though i'm not a fan of intel-drm, the new MacBook Pro sure looks nice

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    It'll be interesting to see if Windows will load and run on these new IntelBooks.

6. well, there already was virtualpc on the old platform to get windows running, and yeah, might be possible that windows runs on the new macs, but osx will stay mac-only for a while (the aforementioned crack was for one of the early betas iirc)

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Hmmm...I wonder if Steve Jobs got the rights to BeOS back...

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm definitely getting a MacBook Pro.

FWIW, I don't think windows running on a mac will ever happen. Or vise versa.

For the past 10 years macs have utilized IBM powerPC chips in their processors. The amount of advancement Apple has made in that decade is mind boggling. I think its exciting because it means a new era of macs are being born. I'm such a dork. :smug:

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Whatever gets the fastest frame rate, playing my favorite first person shooter, while being the most cost efficient will always get my purchase.

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I have Win2K running on my iMac G5 but it is wayyyyyy slowwwww.

Last I heard, OS X 10.4.3 Intel (latest version until 10.4.4 was announced today) has been cracked to work on non-dev boxen. Now that OS X Intel has been finalized it'll be worth it to see if the crackers can get around the hardware chip check which didn't exist in the Intel dev builds.

11. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I stand corrected.

But as far as a Apple/Microsoft partnership (which is what I thought you were refering to) goes...I'll be extremely suprised.

12. Ouch... maybe I don´t need a new bass after all...

Ah, well. I´m happy with my 12" Pbook and I´m sure it will keep me covered for few years more. My only worry is that future software updates will not properly support PowerPC architecture, because developers will concentrate on getting things right on Intel machines. But that won´t happen overnight, by the time things start to get really bad for the PPC-crowd I´ll probably be updating my hardware anyway.

Besides, I´m not obsessed in being "cutting edge" and getting every new gadget or feature the minute it arrives. I have a smoothly working setup now and have no need to change things just for the sake of changing.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, the worst of both worlds. apple's ridiculous prices and intel's lagging technology. w00t. ;)

(mac owner).

14. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I love their new tag line:

"Whats an Intel chip doing in a Mac?"

"A whole lot more than it's ever done in a PC" :cool:

15. well microsoft wouldn't mind that windows runs on apple computers (hey, that's potentially more sales for them, and did you notice that they develop VirtualPC for mac? and sell microsoft office for mac, and there is the internet explorer for mac?) so i wouldnt be very surprised if windows ran with (or without) minor modifications on a mac (intel). remember microsoft sells software (well, lets just ignore the xbox for a moment), it's apple that doesn't want their software to run on other computers.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh heh. i like it. wonder how they are going to make it more than a tag line.

17. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Real geeks use Linux.

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Indeed, a dual boot mactel would be rather cool for my purposes.

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    pretty sure they are dumping IE for Mac? I could be remembering that wrong though.

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    harsh but fair.

Although, the latest dual core Athalon is only slightly faster than the intel and for the first time ever, costs more. (OTOH it runs a lot cooler)