Interested in learning the Bass but need help with purchase...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Farthes, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Farthes

Jan 15, 2005
    San Diego
    As the topic states Im interested in know, what is the best bass and amp to start with thats not to expensive. What should I look for? Also if your from san diego where would be a good place to purchase these?
  2. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Start w/ a budget, a firm number for total money spent.
  3. Farthes

Jan 15, 2005
    San Diego
    Im looking to spend about 400-500 bucks
  4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Well, let me the first to jump in and say what many others would tell you: go to guitar/bass stores and start playing instruments within your budget. It's your ears that you need to play initially. Of course, being a beginner, you don't know what it should sound like particularly, but you do have favorite bands, songs, and maybe even bassplayers, so you at least have some reference.

It's at least somewhat fair to say that Fenders are a good point of reference for bass tone. Try a Fender Jazz (often called a "J") and a Fender Precision ("P") as they were among the first popular electric basses. Then you can compare other interesting basses to those tones and feel.
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    To be the first hardass to respond; use the search feature as well here on TB. There's much information to be had, and if ya got a few minutes, I suggest you do searches on topics like "First bass" and "Starting on bass".
    As far as suggestions go, it's pretty even agreed on that you already know the answer to it, it's just hidden. Go to the local shops and try everything in, and maybe even above, your price range. Make sure to not only look at basses, but amps as well.
    Welcome to TB and the lower world, kick back, relax, and have an open mind!

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I would say that you should look for used equipment first off... For starters... Dont go out and spend like $200 of it on a bargain "Big" amp... (Like the Rogue RB-120BT) Just spend a couple bucks on a Used "Practice amp" That way you can invest in a solid instrument... There are a couple basses you could pick up for around $300-400.. I would say Find a Nice used Fender Jazz Bass (FYI, I HATE MOST JAZZ BASSES) and get a Badass II Bridge, and Maybe further down the line some new electronics. But for right now the only bass that I can notice right away would be a Fender J, or P (Jazz, or Precision) But of course you options arent limited to these.. There are also the Brice instruments from Rondo Music And the SX also from Brice (Like $150) And I gotta say, I really love the Brice 4 banger my friend has. The thing I love about it is string spacing, and honestly the tone is increadible for the price.

I would NOT suggest picking up a Squire... I assure you there made of Rubber cement and saw dust :eek:

Well also I would say to go into any music store and just play around Listen carefully for one that stands out to you (In a good Way) and one that feel's Comfy, Everyone's different and so are there preferances.

Happy Hunting.
  7. Farthes

Jan 15, 2005
    San Diego
    Well I dont know if you have heard of them, but Rush is my favorite and Geddy has really inspired me to play bass. But thanks for the hints Ill go check it out.

PS: Im joking about you not hearing about them =p
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Geddy used a Fender Jazz, so there's a good place to start. Play a bunch of Mexican Fender Jazz basses (the lowest price tier above Squier - cheap Indonesian basses) and look to buy used. I've picked up Mexican Fenders for $200 on more than one occasion as well. Buy a CHEAP, used practice amp if you're just starting. Find someone who recently upgraded their amp to something semi-pro, those little 15 watt buggers lose their values as soon as you cut the tape. After paying $100 for the amp, you're begging someone to take it off your hands for $30.

Be that guy that get's begged to take it for $30. Post an ad on TB if you want, I'm sure you can get a cheapo used amp for $50 shipped to your door.