1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interested in Resonator Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, Nov 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I've become interested in Resonator Basses. I'm leaning toward either the Dean Resonator Bass or Regal RD-05. The Gold Tone PBB is a little more expensive than I'm willing to pay.

Edit: I think I've already chosen. I just realized the Regal is purely acoustic (i.e. it doesn’t appear to have a pickup.)

Dean Resonator
    71OLHIBDKmL._SL1500_.

Regal RD-05
    regal-rd-05-resonator-bass-guitar-800x293.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I added a lipstick pu at the end of the neck to my Regal, which works fine. But the short scale and lack of flat wounds keep it on the stand mostly.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  3. Thanks for your comment and excellent point. I don't want to add anything to the initial purchase. I'm only looking for something as musical experimentation, without too much investment.

2saddleslab likes this.
  4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

delta4bass-image-1690x589.

Just saw this one on No Treble - the Delta 4 bass from the Eastwood Custom shop, being crowdfunded now: Delta 4 Bass – Eastwood Custom Guitars

If I hadn't just oversplurged on some amp gear I would have been very tempted to put down a deposit even though I'm not a huge short scale fan. It's probably not as acoustically useful as the ones you are looking at but since it was so new I thought I'd mention it here.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. Thanks! That's a nice one too.

6. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Do a search for 'Dean Resonator' here at TB and a bunch of posts will come up. Some are for this resonator bass. I've been looking at this since it came out about 5 years ago or so. I'm hesitant to pay for a new one and have been looking for a used one. Problem is you don't find any used ones which tells me that the people who bought them like them and are holding on to them.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  7. GZboat

GZboat

Feb 16, 2017
    Glad to find this thread. I'm interested in converting an Applause AE-40 acoustic bass guitar into a resonator instrument. I believe I need a 8" to 10" resonator cone (preferably biscuit bridge), cover, mounting ring, etc.; a whole drop-in whole unit. Anybody got any ideas where I could find these parts. I already looked on ebay, no luck, so please don't recommend that. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Greg

8. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Google first!

Resophonic Outfitters

Looks like you'd get the parts, not a complete drop in assembly though, but I didn't dig around too much. They also have complete instruments...

9. GZboat

GZboat

Feb 16, 2017
    Thanks. When I went to look, I realized I'd seen that site before. The problem there is that they don't have everything. They do have 8&1/4" cones, which would probably work. They don't have cover plates for the smaller cones (around 9&1/4") and they don't have mounting rings, only sound wells. Due to the basic design of the Applause (molded curved back), an open design with a ring of sound posts is about the only thing that'll work. I do appreciate you finding and posting that link. Thanks again.
    Greg