Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting article

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Ben Rose, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
  2. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    What a great website, thanks for the link. I like his writings.

I also discovered a great band name in Mike's bio, something he's involved with; called "Sons Of Bitches' Brew" :)

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    interesting and useful articles, thanks.
    Provoked a theory question for me, though:

"A subtle, deep and sophisticated understanding of harmony and HOW the bass fits in (IE, knowing that one needs to focus on the F in an E/F chord or the chord doesn’t have the quality of being an E/F, and knowing that the B, C and G# are the next most important notes for the bass to emphasize)"

is the C in there as the 5th of the slash note (is that what you'd call the F in E/F?), or as a flattened 6th of E, or what? and why?

5. I love the Zilber article on Wynton and Ken!
    Thanks for the link. I've really passed it around!

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    wow. He's good. I especially like the Wynton crtique.

7. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I took a class with Mike at the Jazz School in Berkeley a few years back. We were playing arrangements off of his most recent album (at that time). The stuff was really complicated...Giant Steps in 3 keys, Manteca in 7/8, Freedom Jazz Dance in 3/4. Cool arrangements, but harder than a m/f to play well.

8. Well, I read "Wynton" in Mr. Warburton's post in this thread and I immediately thought "Wynton Kelly." In my opinion, Wynton Marsalis still needs the surname next to his "Wynton." I guess I'm behind the times. And "Ken"...how about Kenny Burrell with Wynton?

9. Ya got a point there ee-san! Since we were on the subject, I thought I'd use first names only to save time. These two, IMO, don't deserve the respect that one usually means to be given to cats by using the old first name point of fondness. I am not fond of either person. They both have caused me great frustration. Both, mostly, by ignoring some of my favorite white players....in particular my old friend Bill Evans.
    However, if you know anything about me or my background, you wouldn't attempting to be so critical of what I said....maybe you are a little "behind the times".

10. No criticism intended...I see, indeed expected, the point of view in your more recent post. I have a fair collection of Bill Evans myself, by the way.

11. Here in TBDB Mr. Marsalis and Mr. Burns together are commonly known as "Kenton Burnsalis", introduced by Ed.

R2

12. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK