1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interesting octave pedal to mix with distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Edvarts, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Edvarts

Edvarts

Apr 12, 2020
    Hello fellas!

I was searching for some nasty sounding distortion till it seemed to me that what I actually might need is octave pedal that would make a crazy mix with my Behringer Super Fuzz. Amazingly it is a good distortion for bass.

What I am looking for is the ability to make even more fu**ed up, abstract and just straight up crazy yet solid sound while noising on an electric upright I have, with or without bow.

I seem to be quite much into heavy avante-garde and noise stuff with the intention for the sound to completely surround listener, so a flexibility in settings is quite necessary. Synth sound is good, but I don't want it to be very clean, some crazy, even bit crushing texture when cranked up is welcome.

So far I have found something that might just be a bit over my budget, Fuzzrocious Knob Jawn, which I think I will take if nothing else shows up, but I would prefer eating food AND playing my instrument for the following month.

So any weird noisy bass octave pedals?

Thanks in advance!

2. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Craziest octave pedal I have been checking out demos of is the Subdecay Octave Theory.

It's all about crazy if that's what you want.

3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    DOD Buzz Box is the craziest octave based pedal i know of... they are hard to come by though.

Or MXR Blue Box (which is what the BB is partly based on).

Otherwise it’s really more about what you do to the clean octave sound with other pedals.

(I find if you distort the sub sound too much it loses impact - but sounds like you have very specific tonal goals!)

Maybe check out the Mooer range, they have a couple of octave pedals that won’t break the bank. EDIT and maybe leave you enough cash over to get a bit crusher or whatever.

4. Edvarts

Edvarts

Apr 12, 2020
    Oof, DOD Buzz Box... yes, not easy to get but sounds genius! That might be too pricey as well. I am hoping to spend below 150 euros, Knob Jawn is about 175, for example.

Blue Box might work with added some distorted texture after it, there is a danger that it might loose some low end in that order though but will check!

Maybe I should check bit crushers, don't know anything about them yet except for the really weird Geiger Counter that is a bit too weird for me :D.

knumbskull likes this.
  5. Edvarts

Edvarts

Apr 12, 2020
    Crazy indeed, might get heavy with distortion but sounds too specific and "made up".
    Thanks!

thabassmon likes this.
  6. dwagner

dwagner Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2013
    North Dakota, USA
    This is what I've been running lately. IMG_5015.jpg

7. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If you want crazy fuzz octave and it also has Modulation you can leave on or off and control the rate then the Solidgold FX Lysis would be the ticket. Check out the video By Patrick Hunter He figured it out and can make it sing. For just a Fuzz Octave pedal I love the Red Witch Zeus.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020