Interfaces that work with Android phones

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Terry Dodd, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Terry Dodd

Terry Dodd

Sep 13, 2019
    Hi all
    Posted previous about my situation
    Im In isolation and wanted to record some bass tracks
    I have no recording equipment with me apart from a focusrite itrack interface (doesn't work with Android) my phone (good pixel 3 XL) and all the bass's/amps/pedals I need

Could anyone recommend an interface that would work with Android phones
    I've been looking at the bandlab link which sounds good for the price
    Doesn't need to be anything high tech but need it to lay down bass tracks onto my phone until we are allowed out again

Thanks in advance
    Hope all you are staying safe

2. @Terry Dodd were all pretty much in the same situation, at least those of us with good sense and fortitude. That Bandlab Link looks very cool for $19.99 I'm interested as well and Amazon has it (free shipping & returns if you are Prime) so I'll bite too.

Might be handy as several of my songwriter demo clients use Bandlab to record song demos. :bassist:

PS Roland is giving away free versions of ZenBeats all you need to do is download then create an account to unlock the VIP downloads. Sweet!

3. I should get my bandlab link Saturday or Sunday and will try to get something recorded by Tuesday. Old men learn slow.

4. Terry Dodd

Terry Dodd

Sep 13, 2019

I have also ordered myself one that should be here Saturday, was about £43 over here which I don't find that bad if price specially if it's as good as it says
    It's seems like a simple interface, pretty much plug and play
    I'd suggest downloading the bandlab app, pretty much there own daw, get to grips with that a bit before the unit arrives
    Also wasn't aware of the build in musician social media for collaborating on projects
    Looks very promising

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Terry, ask the mOdS to move this to Recording Gear, a more suited section for all things gear related to make recordings.

Terry Dodd likes this.
  6. I have been tinkering with the app on my phone , moto x4, off and on today fingering stuff out. How to start a project, load a drum kit, write a drum pattern, loading efx all awaiting the interface. I may try to find a yt video.
    I already use Cakewalk on a pc so that part is smooth.

7. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    I have One of those, bandlab link, and don’t use it. It added a big hissing sound on the lower notes.
    I’m looking forward to hearing your experience, maybe it’s my gear...

8. @Terry Dodd Well it came on Saturday and will go on Monday. I can confirm that the interface does work with the Bandlab app and for the affordable price it does provide a portal for recording. Connection with my Moto x4 was plug and play but it did report that there would be a latency issue. I was able to use the app to craft several tones and found the experience very easy and pleasant, again quite the bargain.

On my phone a Moto x4 there were three issues that kept me from being happy. The latency is just too long about 200ms and there is a constant 60-120Hz plus a hyper sonic noise on all recorded tracks that makes it unusable. With earbuds this might not be an issue but I use studio grade headphones or IEMs. I spent over an hour crafting a tone using their tools and tinkering trying to get a better s/n ratio and to get rid of the noise w/o any real progress. FWIW this Moto not a new or expensive phone so Apple ios users or those w better newer Android phones or tablet may have better luck. I did not try it with my net book or pc.

9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    I stumbled across this:

G Stomper Studio

G Stomper Producer

G Stomper Rhythm

G Stomper VA Beast Synthisizer

I was actually looking for a drum machine app and I wound up purchasing the G Stomper Rhythm app for my Android tablet. Once I downloaded the Demo I liked it so much right off the bat that I decided to purchase it. It was only after that that I discovered the rest ofthe apps. I would recommend that you skip Rhythm and Synth and drop the $26 ($13 each) for Studio and Producer because Rhythm and Synth are included in them but for the cost it is a pretty decent package.

10. That looks interesting but the free Roland ZenBeats will serve my needs for now, I just need enough for guide tracks as I prefer and have access to flesh and blood world class drummers.

11. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    ZenBeats looks interesting too...

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021