Interior design?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by I am Domokun, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Is anyone godd at interior design? I need to get my bedroom done up, and need some ideas.

Pic 1: [​IMG]

Pic 2: [​IMG]

I need room for clothes (lots), a study desk/area, a place for my bass/big amp and djembi drum and a place for the N64 + small TV. Any ideas will be considered. Try and use the photos, i.e. edit them to show exactly what you would do. And the clothes on the table aren't mine.
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'd start by adding some color. Get a large rug of some color you like that goes partly beneath your bed. After that, perhaps a couple of posters with similar color theme than the rug - they come out really classy if you get frames for them.

After that, add some nice lamp and perhaps some longer curtains of different color. The shutter idea isn't bad either. I've seen some wooden shutters that are really cool. Of course getting shutters doesn't mean you'd have to get rid of the curtains, they can hang there just to soften the window area.
  3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Get some therapeutic scented candles.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

And a Metallica Poster :bassist:

;) :D
  6. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Watch a few episodes of Trading Spaces and use some of the ideas from them.
  7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

lose the model airplane , add some shelving for your
    clothes , make up your bed ... common sense stuff .
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's official: hereby you are 100% straight :p

PS. it's pretty hard to do any "design" without knowing the floorplan.
  9. Get some empty pizza boxes and throw them on the floor.
  10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's a woman's input. Choose a theme be it music, sports, a tropical theme, a western theme, a colonial theme, Greek, aviation, nautical, whatever. Then choose your accessories based on that theme. The theme may also be a guide to your color palette.

Your wall color, flooring, curtains, wall art, bedding should all relate to that theme giving your room a unified appearance. Your photos show that you are in need of storage options for your clothing and you need to do something about clutter. Let go of clutter and extraneous items. A neat, organized space is much more relaxinga nd conducive to concentration.

Have furniture ( it can be very cheap Target or Wal Mart peices) that have doors and drawers so you can hide away items. If you have a closet, it may need some serious weeding out and re-organization. Get rid of anything you haven't worn in a year.

Have fun with your project. Remember, nothing spiffies up a room like a new coat of paint and a general all over neatening and clutter elimination campaign.
  11. Ok, I've done some very basic ideas on the general layout of stuff, no posters/painting yet. It isn't very hot here in Ireland so my ma says I probably won't need shutters.. Any more ideas? Sorry for the very crude image editting btw.
    Pic 1:

12. This is what I want to do, but you can take it and try it out for me.

Paint your room all black... the floor and the ceiling too... I think that would be a trip...
  14. Where do people get these? And Metallica t-shirts? I've never seen em anywhere.
  15. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I'd first acquire more floorspace. The best way to do this if you can't expand further and your parents won't give you another room is to just gradually take over their space. Put your bass/amp somewhere else and eventually all your crap will follow. I only have clothing and absolute junk I've collected in my bedroom (3 douche boxes, Heinz 'Spotted Dick' sponge pudding, garden gnomes, a cactus, etc.). I have a huge room for storing musical equipment because no one was using it at the moment so I stole it. I'm like an infectious disease slash pirate slash packrat.
  16. the woman says some things...but theming is REALLY dangerous imo, it'll be boyish/dorkish really quick, especially with generic themes like ancient greece, colonial etc. oftentimes because those things that you need for the theme look really kitsch(cheesy roman pillars, fake woodwork, etc.etc.) You could theme it with a true and tried ART style, Art Nouveau(or Jugendstil in some parts of the world), Art Deco, Minimalist, ... could work, but it'd cost you in acessories(sp?)....

Anyway, what would work, is a good two colour colour scheme, don't take colours with too much of a bite; burgundy would probably work better than apple red, even though it's a lot darker. It's a bedroom, so dark is ok, harsh isn't, generally and imo, you could make all colours work.

if the room didn't have enough light you wouldn't want dark either. I'd say, no black, tried and true that you're gonna feel depressed in a room painted all black.

I myself chose burgundy and a goldish brown(just gold without the glittersand a tad darker)

Next, go to ikea and get some nice closets or whatever, a mess is ok, but when you design a room, after it's been done, there should be NO mess WHATSOEVER, if you make a mess afterwards, too bad.

ok you've got three desks, why?? loose the middle one, get the biggest one for the your pc and put it below the staircase. loose the clothesrack and buy an enclosed closet/cabinet/whatever it's called in english, put it beside your bed. If you're playing n64 all alone always, put it on the table at the footend of the bed, you can sit in your bed and play/watch tv, put your djembe and and bass gear around your table.

Lose the rug thingy and think about getting a nice simple one, or leave it out, you've got a nice floor.

I'd lose the airplane...but if you're attached to it, put it on top of something high, or hang it from the ceiling, but it's a tiny tad geeky anyhow(but hey, a bass is too, real men play guitar :smug: :bag: ) but that's imo

oh and there's this small cabinet thingy to the left of the bed, why not put it next t your bed with an alarm on top

Or you could put the bed against the wall and let me start over all again ;)

this is all IMHO, and IMHO most unimaginative interiors aren't my style, and my interior wouln't feel right to a lot of people, so each his own, do what you want, what you can do, and what you can pay for, if you're happy as is, leave it at that

I lived it HERE:
    For six months, and I survived, and YES that is the front door you see to the left, and YES that's a shower cabin to the right, and YES that's a kitchen in there too, with above it my only window looking out to another seventh floor appartment which was a lot nicer but had 2 fat parisian middle aged people(well, a bit older than that) in it that made a habit of walking around naked with curtains opened :eek:

it's just a room you know :)
  17. o, and do a resize on your pictures :)
  18. Thanks for all the help, got lots of ideas now. My PC (built it myself aged 12!) has to stay downstairs, I think. If you look at the 2nd editted pic, you'll see I've kinda filled in the wall under the stairs to the attic, and left holes/shelves for clothes. I have lots of clothes. The amp/bass must stay upstairs, i.e. in my room, because my family won't tolerate the sound if it's anywhere else.
  19. Bump, any ideas for paint schemes, and where do you get Metallica posters/t-shirts, or other bands' ones?