1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Intonation question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by festaadams, Nov 9, 2010.

1. festaadams

festaadams

Nov 6, 2010
    This is my first post, so sorry for sounding extremely basic, but I had a question about intonation.

I am trying to understand intonation a bit. I have heard that the distance from the nut to the 12th fret, should equal to the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge saddle, but does that vary based on note that the string is tuned to, or string size, etc?

I've been playing bass for about 22 years and have finally decided to build my own bass, but wanted to make a custom hardwood bridge as part of the build.

Thanks for the help!

2. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    In a perfect situation half the wave length will be double the frequency and therfore sound an octave above. This is a simple physical principle. However there are things that change the way a string acts and therefor there is a SLIGHT deviation from the 12th fret being exactly in the middle of the saddle and the nut.

3. festaadams

festaadams

Nov 6, 2010

Is there some way to calculate the proper distance of the saddle from the nut for each string? I wanted to make a bridge that was non-adjustable, somewhat like an acoustic guitar bridge, but a bit different, with string through.

4. festaadams

festaadams

Nov 6, 2010
    I know I've seen basses on here that were built with a wood fixed bridge... Does anyone have any input on how I would determine what the proper spacing of the saddle for each string would be?

Pretty please?!?

5. Just my 2 cents:

Maybe you can just measure the intonation setup of your bass and copy it.
    Better if you can measure A LOT of basses and extrapolate a result.
    Any acoustic bass has a fixed bridge...
    You can try to scale this pattern;)
    http://www.fbass.com/images/Model Variations/BNF5(1)-lg.jpg
    :bassist: