Introductory Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gettingthere, Apr 13, 2004.

1. gettingthere

Apr 12, 2004
    I'm looking to pick up a solid intro head. I'll be putting it into a 1x15 Crate (200 watts @ 4 ohms). I'm on a pretty limited budget, so I can't spend more than say $250. Does such a beast exist?
  2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Ashdown makes one(300w) for about 300.00 and Behringer makes a 300w head for 199.00 at most online music dealers. You can also buy used (check ebay and the classifieds on this board.) Let's avoid the Behringers are made by using endangered baby whales as slave labor in a sweatshop in China stuff .That's another thread
  3. gettingthere

Apr 12, 2004
    Thanks much, both of you!
  4. You can also look into some HARTKE gear. It's pretty good beginner gear. The 1400, 2000, and 3500 are pretty "cheap" in price, and go all day long on ebay.
    Just an idea.
  5. Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    I have the Behringer BX3000T and it is doing very well so far. Is it the best bass head that I've ever used? No. But it is the best $200 bass head I've ever used.

Chances are all of the posters on are using Chinese made computers. What about the ethics of that situation?

I'm not saying that you should buy the Behringer, but it might be wise to consider it.

The price just went up $30 at Musician's Friend. If you are going to buy the Behringer, you might want to get busy and pick one up before everyone else increases their prices.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'd say look for a good used amplifier. Used gear is a bargain these days and you can get quite an amp for the price that you mentioned. Brands to consider would be Peavey, Hartke, a SWR Workingmans series head, etc.

You can read user reviews here, at (in the guitar amp section) and at