iOS Bass Players Thread #6 - World Domination

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by claudel, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heres a later mix of the stuff I'm still working on in multitrack DAW. I've done a lot of cleanup in deleting noisy silences and some fades. The leads and vox re supposed to be tracked in the next few weeks. I honestly can't wait to get this done.

I did a variant of the New York drum compression by copying the drum track and compressing the crap out of it, them bringing it up under the mix. Wow do my drums sound 110% better. Now there's a lot more punch to them.

This track isn't surf metal (sorry) its more doom/thrash.

http://soundcloud.com/the-black-mercy/burn-towers-instrumental-demo/s-F9kP7

2. TalkBass Sponsor

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Wow, part 6. Our baby is getting so big!!

4. Reidar

Reidar

Apr 4, 2013
  5. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    sub'd, but no time to do anything iOS these days. Maybe it will change, but I doubt it.

6. Awesome track dude!

Sub'd back in on this ongoing journey!

7. mcascone

mcascone

Jan 30, 2013
    Chicago
    i posted this right at the end of #5... anybody seen/tried the line6 sonicport yet? It's the same price as the Jam! http://line6.com/sonicport/

8. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    As we already know by using Audiobus one can use 2 input slots with 2 amp simulation apps of your choice. Hei one can even use 3 apps, so one can use the big 3 app out there, Jamup, Amplitube and Ampkit altogether. If one choose speaker out on the output slot the signal will be blended without any control over the blend ration or panning. But using a DAW which can do multitrack recording means one can record 3 tracks at once gives us lots of possibilities, specially when we want to record something, thus not live performance.

The typical case is the dual amping where we want one track to be clean with nice lows, the other with OD/ Distortion/ additional effect. Like Chris Squire with his Ampeg SVT and Marshall 100W guitar head blend, Geddy Lee with dual Sansamps chain, one clean one distorted. Today he also blend two Orange AD200 into the Sansamps dual signal. Billy Sheehan is also a dual signal player, I think. Rip can confirm.

One nice point about the Audiobus triple signal possibility is the fact is that we can use dual amping, and use the third input slot for dry signal! By choosing a min in the input slot we will manage to send dry signal into the DAW. That can be very useful as we can do something with this signal in the DAW, or just keep it there (even muted) for a case we are happy with out playing but not with the tone. We can take the dry track and re-amp it in Jamup/ Amplitube/ Ampkit.

So here is a short clip where I've used dual amping, and recorded the dry signal at the same time. The dry signal is rather low in the mix, so you will not hear it, but I could do something with it if I wanted/ needed to:

https://soundcloud.com/duke21/dual-amping-plus-dry-signal
    [​IMG]
    Now, here I've used MTDAW which is fairly limited. If I've used Cubasis I could put the dry signal through one of the internal effects in Cubasis. They even have some amps in there. I know Evangelos find the amps in there quite good on a guitar.

In my clip, about halfway through, I place Galileo Organ emulation app in the effect slot. This gives me a possibility of using the amp/ preamp section of an Hammond to ad some bite AND using the rotating speaker cab, chorus, reverb and other features there is in an Hammond to get very cool effects. These type of effects are not easy to do only with stop boxes!!

On my next post I will revile some Auria features which are VERY powerful.

Btw Obi, most of us here are not under cover. ;)
    Thanks staying and following this thread.

Guy Mauseth

Narvik, Norway.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I have one, love it best iOS interface I've used.

My favourite feature is all the I/O is handled on the sonic port.

10. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    New stuff from Rude Duke:

The first one, Baby is Evangelos creation. Great guitar and vocals, once again!!!

iOS friendly:
    https://soundcloud.com/rude-duke/baby-free-download

On Baby I've used my Beatles bass.

The next song is under work: Ascending Sun
    We have a guest star on it, Martin Neuhold from Germany. He play the Alchemy synth solo (coming in from 0:52)

iOS:
    https://soundcloud.com/rude-duke/ascending-sun-draft4

When Maestro Evangelos will add his guitar magic we might add vocals as I wrote lyrics. But the question is if they are singable!!

11. FEF

FEF Insert Something Witty Here________

Jan 16, 2007
    Oregon
    OnSong Beta Tester
    I'm leaning toward the Sonic Port, too. If I have Bluetooth pedals, then I don't need the MIDI in/out. If I do need MIDI, and I will at some point, I have the IO Dock.

I almost pulled the trigger for the iRig pro, or HD, but the Sonic Port has the line out. That's a big deal for live use. Only one cable's coming out of the iPad I use for music, too.

I wish IK would post the BlueBoard manual on their site. That way I could see if I can bend it to my will before I buy it. :ninja:

12. Awesome stuff. Many thanks for this.

Mixing in the dry signal is a +++

FWIW, "reveal", not "revile", not that I know ten words in Norwegian...

13. neuman

neuman Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO 'burbs
    Thanks Duke for showing some of your "secrets."

I have been following this from the beginning and really learning along the way. Hopefully more tutorials will follow. Thanks again for your hard work and then sharing the fruits of those labors.

14. Loving this new technique I discovered from Guy. I have posted this to Positive Grid and they responded that it is an interesting idea that they will look into.. but they did note that most of the models in JamUp already have some clean bass mixed back in.

The biggest deal for me would to have this ability built into the Application, whatever your choice is, and then be able to dial in your own mix instead of relying on a DAW to do that. Too many apps running at once could lead to a crash in a live playing situation. For recording, it's a great technique as is and something really cool we can take advantage of thanks to Audiobus... and Guy for pointing this out ;)

15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I suggested a parallel loop, i.e dry/wet effects mix to PG some months ago as well.
    The more who request it the bigger the chance it gets implemented?

16. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    Get in line. I want my bass synth first. :D

17. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Glad you guys likes the new techniques!
    Later today I will reveal (not revile) some nice stuff about Auria.
    Btw, there have been some talks here about the Tornado app. I've read somewhere that the upcoming Auria update would be able to communicate with Tornado so one could automate Tornado effects within Auria!!

18. inate_hex

inate_hex

Apr 4, 2010
    Manchester, England
    I occasionally wet the bed.
    hey guys, im new to all this ios (I don't even know what it means). I was wondering if i got a pluggy inny thingy for my ipad (irig, apogee etc) would I be able to record video and audio at the same time whilst playing along to a backing track? I want it for making covers for youtube. any help would be appreciated.

19. IK Obi

IK Obi

Apr 4, 2011
    Sorry for bringing this over, I just wanted to give you an answer and let you know I'm just waiting on a response from our dev team for confirmation. They are in the final stages of production before shipping for both iRig BlueBoard/iLoud and very busy after IFA/iRig Pro this past weekend.

I assumed it would be like our StealthPedal, which does give you the option for 2 additional 2 button footswitches or 2 expression pedals. Thats how I run my personal live AmpliTube rig, don't really need the extra expression pedal, I get by fine with the built in one.

20. IK Obi

IK Obi

Apr 4, 2011
    iOS is the operating system on iPhone, iPad, iPad mini and iPod Touch. Its a mobile focused operation system made by Apple who make Mac OS. Other well known operating systems are Windows, Linux and Android.

By "pluggy inny thingy", it most likely exists, just need to know what you are trying to connect to your iPhone/iPad (iOS device) and for what. Budget/quality wanted are a consideration as well. Low end you're looking at under 100 for different types, while digital devices with better sound can be had well under 200 with apps/gear included. (Notice, I didn't even push ours, just a broad overview of the available gear out there!)

Possibly, depending on how you answer the above and what gear you have to record/connect. With the new iOS 7 (The next version that was just announced by Apple yesterday to release later this month for iPhone and possibly October for iPad. Similar to upgrading/updating from Windows 7 to Windows 8) the apps will have the ability to talk to each other built in.

This is really cool because you could totally do a recording of whats going on in the screen with another app, also capturing the audio while the iPhone/iPad camera is pointed at you playing. So there are some cool exciting things happening with music creation and creativity as a whole on these new mobile devices.

That alone with real gear would take more time and work than opening a few apps and hitting record. So, definitely look into it. Even Steve Jobs liked to jam out from time to time. :bassist:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.