Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iPod Through Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toddcotham, Jul 14, 2005.

1. toddcotham

toddcotham

May 12, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    What do I need to run my ipod through my bass rig? And will it sound good? How would I need to EQ it?

2. Make sure it isnt very loud on the ipod (dont want too hot a signal to the pre)

And then play it, and EQ til it sounds good

I think maybe cutting alot of the lows seeing its a bass amp ?

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You would need an 1/8 in. to 1/8 in. cable, and then an adaptor like this one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_011_003_001_001&product_id=274-348

Or, you could just get a cable that is built with an 1/8 male on one end and a 1/4 male on the other. Go from the headphone out to the input of the bass amp. Keep the volume down on the iPod and turn up enough so you can hear it, but doesn't distort.

4. toddcotham

toddcotham

May 12, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    How do I need to connect though? Do I just need to get a 1/8" to 1/8" wire with a 1/4" adapter or what? I'm about to go buy whatever I need. We're having a party tonight and it would be nice to crank some tunes out of my 4x10.

edit: ok, you answered my question as I was asking it. that is neat.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, if you just walk into Radio Shack and say "I need to go from an 1/8 in. out to a 1/4 in. input", the zombie behind the counter should be able to point you in the right direction. No fuss, no muss.

6. toddcotham

toddcotham

May 12, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Thanks alot. Time to go piss off some neighbors.

edit: btw, is that bad for my amp or speakers in any way? I just don't want to damage anything.

7. If you have the docking station or Ipod dock. The line out on it will need to be run in to the active input on your amp. If not, run the head phone output into the passive input. Headphone output volume will need to be between 50% - 75% up. As per Mac assesory cable kit instructions.

The volume control has no affect over the line out on the dock. But the dock is extremely clear. Plus it holds your pod upright and will recharge it. On top of that you can get one of those remote control kits with the sensor on top. And still use the dock. (I think the remote is griffen, forgot haven't used it myself)

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    As long as you treat it the same as your bass signal, you should be fine. The volume of the iPod should be lound enough that you shouldn't have to drive your amp too hard to get some decent volume, but not loud enough to distort at the input. Treat it like you would the input signal of a bass, and it should be fine.

9. toddcotham

toddcotham

May 12, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Very awesome. Thanks alot.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh, you think it is awesome now.....just wait till you finally hook it up. Then, you'll know what awesome is. :D

My iPOD goes into my iAMP500, and then into a couple Epifani's....awesome indeed.

-Mike

11. i too have been using my old peavey combo as a stereo. it sounds awesome!!! and it thumps like crazy though the 15" woofer.

12. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Not off topic - just bear with me.

Recently, a friend getting married asked if I could bring a small p.a. to the reception. I decided to carry two 1x12 monitors + powered Peavey head and poles. However, the day of the wedding it really looked like rain (and did, after the wedding), so I grabbed my Ampeg BA115 instead, with a "Y" adapter. The designated DJ had a laptop with 1/8 inch out, and I patched it into the Y and into the amp, put the amp into a chair and let 'er rip. I overheard his friend who was walking around the room tell him to turn it down just a bit because it was pretty loud in the center of the room (moved indoors because of weather). He also commented how good it sounded and said that he didn't think originally that it would sound good at all. He was pleasantly surprised.

All-in-all the combo did the trick. Loud, plenty of reserve power, plenty of highs (through the horn), plenty of lows available, and enough midrange as well. Plus, you pick it up with one hand and carry it to the car.

13. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Or why not just buy a 1/8" to 1/4" Cable and not waste time with adapters. Look at radio shack, they should stock them.

14. toddcotham

toddcotham

May 12, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    I already had the adapter so it wasn't a big deal. Anyway, I got it set up and it sounded freakin' fantastic. I left my ipod plugged into the amp in my bedroom and just kept the door open...you could hear that beast clearly in the backyard, frontyard, garage and every room in the house. My neighbors are gonna hate my guts. They're weird anyway so I don't care. But yeah, its a very good thing.