1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Iron Ether Looper interest v2!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by behndy, Sep 29, 2010.

1. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    continued (sort of) from http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697865

i love loopers. i hate taking up all that pedalboard space, and most of them have way more features then i want. i like the Zvex Lo-Fi Loop Junky a lot, but it's way too expensive and i don't care about the vibrato. i was talking to Taylor Livingston (Iron Ether) about his take on that idea and he said he could do one but the time and design inlay means he would want at least 5 orders.

i really want this bugger, and i think it's a cool idea, so if anybody else wants to commit to buying one this is what the specs would be....

Enclosure - same box the Oxide comes in, oriented sideways
    Buttons - 2 -> Right = RECORD, Left = START/BYPASS
    Knobs - TONE, VOLUME, SAMPLE

BUTTONS = click record to start recording, and press it again to stop recording and go into playback mode. press play to put it in bypass, then press it again to begin playback from the beginning (play retriggers the sample).

the SAMPLE knob would work on the recorded loop - if you turn it down a bit you get longer record time and a more grainy lo fi sound, record at high sample rate and then turn it down to playback your sample slower and lower in pitch (or record at low rate, then turn it up to get fast chipmunk stuff).

TONE and VOLUME knobs would also effect the loop, not the original signal.

i started a thread asking the same question, did have some interest, but i think this is a more concise description at the top. i'm not connected to Mr. Livingston or Iron Ether in any way (besides my love of his products and a slight crush on him). he did not ask me to post this thread.

the price would be in line with Taylor's current offerings. i'll discuss the price through PM.

his build time is dependent on how busy he is... "Things are ever-changing at IE so depending on what's going on at the time this begins, the build time could be 1 month or 3 months. If we started right now, it would probably be around 3 months.".

2. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    I'll be interested in this later on, but I have a custom Xerograph on order and I'm planning an Oxide and a custom loopswitcher/blender before I get into anything like this.

3. Wud

Wud

Apr 11, 2009
    I have a very healthy interest in all things Iron Ether, but I must admit that I'd put a looper quite a bit down on my list of priorities.

Sounds like a good device though and I'm sure Taylor will bring something unique to the market if it does get the go ahead.

4. JagStang68

JagStang68

Feb 12, 2010
    Saint Paul MN
    This is certainly interesting!

5. I think i'd like it more if it was actually a delay box with that feature as a part of the total package.

while we are at it, I'd also like it to have moduation, low pass filter, as well as an effects loop to go through the repeat section :)

6. I think you've missed the point.

7. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    lol. yeah.... the idea was an alternative to other loopers that are either in too large a box and/or have more features then i end up using.

8. In order for a looper to catch my interest in needs to have a place to store some pre-recorded loops. Period.

9. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    Denialanator - again, more features then i was looking for. the Zvex Lo Fi Loop Junky will store one loop, but you can't overdub it, and they go for like $300 new. which is REALLY too expensive to me.

which do you like? i tried the RC2 and RC20. didn't like them at ALL. but i think (at least the RC20) has a mem-card spot for loops.

10. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    DO IT

11. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    yur. i believe this idea sputtered and died. like a fire suddenly transported to a planet that has never known oxygen in it's atmosphere.

guttered even.

dunno if T-Dizzy even has time to take something like this on right now. he's a busy guy now.

12. I really like my digitech jamman (the two pedal version) since you can upgrade the memory and can store up to 99 loops. The only thing that kinda sucks about is the tempo drum patterns (if you want to call them drum patterns) and there is no half speed/reverse like the rc-20xl or the memory man w/ hazarai has but I have since overcome that with my m9.

13. i want an analog chorus pedal
    that doesn't break the bank

14. if i had the cash i'd be all over this, a one loop recorder would be great

15. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    yeah. i just went ahead and had Drasp pimp out my DL4. it's way bigger than i want, but the delay's are usefull enough that i wouldn't want or need another delay on my board.

i would just REALLY like a teeny weeny one shot looper.

i've tried almost all the ones out there. haven't spent anytime with the Boomerang. but always felt like they were too big for how often i'd use 'em.

oh well.

16. This would be really cool. Kind of like a V1 boomerang in a really small size. I wonder if its possible to just rehouse a 'rang without some of the less necessary switches.

I think you'd want as few knobs as possible so you could fit bigger switches that would be easy to hit accurately. Without quantization, you need to be really accurate.

I think the sample rate and tone knobs might get in the way of a minimalist looper. A selector knob could be a way to jump right to the sample rates you'd need for harmony parts, but you might be better off with a pitchfactor into the looper.

I think 2 bigger switches and a loop volume knob would be awesome. Giving up the bigger memory of the boss & digitech pedals would keep the price reasonable for smaller scale builds. If the pedal was just meant for live looping you wouldn't need more than a few minutes anyways.

Like Behndy said, the two switches could control pretty much all the functions you'd need. The only thing I would add to his original suggestion is Undo. Having used a bunch of loopers without quantization, I think undo is great in case you make a mistake. You can also build a base loop and change parts over the loop to keep things interesting

I'd love to see switch functions like:

Rec (tap switch a) - overdub (hold switch a)

Play/Stop (tap switch b) - undo (hold switch b)

I wonder if this could be done with an arduino. Something like this, but without the need for a PC: http://arduino-guitarlooper.blogspot.com/

17. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    what you say is interesting. in fact, YOU'RE very interesting.

yeah, just a graduated knob with different sample rates would be fine.

undo is awesome, but i don't know if that's out of the range of the complexity Taylor envisioned when we discussed this.

'cause really, for live stuff, i'd just want something balls simple. just one loop, a decent amount of loop time, and a little knobby adjustment to maybe change the way the loop sounds if i'm going to use the same efx chain to go over the loop. that's really what i pretty much always end up using loopers for, so a small SMALL box that did that would be the awesome.

i do NOT understand why the Zivex LoFi Loop Junky is so dayum expensive. it's like $300 or $350. for a freaking answering machine chip. weird.

18. Behndy, as usual you sent me on a crazy pedal hunting quest.

Maneco loopers seem cool with the built in filters, but they are expensive and the few reviews out there say the build quality is isn't great.

The mini looperlative is not actually that small, but maybe he would do a micro version.

The single pedal boss/digitech pedals seem to be the smallest and cheapest loopers out there, but they are so crammed with features that they are hard to use live.

19. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I'm down.

20. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I would want some sort of decay/hold function. For me, just adding layers gets messy. I like to let the older layers die out so the loop can evolve.