1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is 1 Markbass 121 Cab Enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumper, Dec 8, 2012.

  1. Thumper


    Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I've just been offered the bass chair in a Country band (2 guitars, 1 Telecaster, 1 electric/acoustic Martin, 1 non-heavy handed drummer). The band is not loud, and mainly plays to 100 people size crowds/bars. They have a decent P.A. so PA support is available, they also incorporate some Rock songs.

    I am planning to use my Little Mark III head, and would like to use a 121 Markbass cab due to portability (none of us are young anymore) and to cosmetically match the head. So please, no Markbass Cab haters.

    I am also reviving my old Classic Rock band, so this setup will allow easy transportation between 2 practice facilities.

    I play Fender Ps, a Lakland 55-94, and a Zon 519 and know this won't be a loud rig, but if need be, I also have an Eden rig (210 and 115 XLTs) and 2 SWR Goliath 410s if needed for the occasional outdoor or large venue gigs. Since $ isn't a problem, I could also get another 121.

    My question is will one 121 be enough? How loud will two 121s go, or should I go with 210 Markbass cabs? Or even a 121 and eventually add a 151?
  2. RickenBoogie


    Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Stick with matching cabs if you double up. Essentially, bigger is louder, so the safest bet is to START with a 1x15, which would most likely cover the country band. Add a 2nd 1x15, and you have a rocking good rig.
  3. MegaSwing

    MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

    Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    It'll be a kick-arse rig with one or two 121 cabs. Markbass stands for high performance, IMO. I'd have it to play just about anywhere. The portability is almost a side benefit to the sound. Proceed with confidence.
  4. Freddels

    Freddels Musical Anarchist

    Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It's hard to say whether or not one 121 cab would be enough for the gig. It's sort of like asking if 10 gallons of paint will be enough to paint my house.

    I've played some fairly loud (not metal loud) gigs with the CMD102 combo and it held it's own.

    The good thing is that you can either buy it from GC or MF and try it out on a gig to see if it can handle it. If not, either return it for something bigger or get a second one.
  5. anton72

    anton72 Supporting Member

    I had one Markbass 121 before, and gigged with it in small venues. No problem at all. Now I sold it and bought 210, also Markbass. I like 210 more because it seems more articulate and my Spector is quite mid-freq-range bass. And they both are very portable and very loud. You'd probably be better with 121 for country staff.
  6. Thumper


    Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Thanks for the replies (anyone else have trouble with this site over the weekend?), I will look for a 121. I can wait until after the holidays, maybe I can get one at MF for $399 like some folks did in Oct/Nov.

    That said, I sure like the idea of the special edition 210 which has the logo oriented properly for setting up on side.
  7. Russell L

    Russell L

    Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Which 121 are you talking about, the NY121P or Traveler 121H? The 121H is a bigger box and sounds fuller. I have a 121H combo, but decided it wasn't enough for me, so I bought a LMIII head and two Traveler 151P cabs. Usually, I only need one 151P, but two are awesome. My 121H speaker could easily clank if I wasn't careful with the lows and plopping my hand around too much. The 15s are more robust, it seems. No clanking at all.
  8. bloobass


    Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    I have a LMIII and a traveler 151P...playing that size club with a pretty heavy drummer, and a 2x12 guitar cab, it always holds it's own, with or without PA support. I play a wide variety of music, with a Lakland 55-94. The only time I've needed more is when I've played small outdoor shows (which I've posted here, with very helpful feedback from most everybody).
  9. Thumper


    Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I was thinking the NY 121. If I really need to go larger, I have a Shroeder 115, Eden 115XLT, Eden 210 XLT, and two Goliath III 410s. This is mainly an easy setup for transport between practice facilities and the occasional small Country venue.

    The only concern I have is the 121 will be down at ankle level, which is why I am also contemplating a 210, unless the 121 has really good dispersion.
  10. RickenBoogie


    Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A 1x12 on the floor will be hard to hear. Better to use an amp stand, or something, and get it closer to ear level.
  11. JimmyM


    Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used to use a 121p in a similar situation a few years back and it did put out enough to fill a room like what you'll be doing. Also did a handful of stage volume no-PA gigs with it as well.
  12. Biggbass


    Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I use an LM3 with a 102P for small room gigs, acoustic trio, and it's perfect. For the full band thing I add a 151 to it, which is more than enough, and sounds fantastic.
  13. Thumper


    Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm leaning towards a 210 for a little more height which might make it better for use as a stage monitor. I think a 212 is too heavy, 2 12s creates the need for one more trip, and if I need more volume, the 2 Eden cabs are always in the P.A. trailer.

    So, I know the 102HF is a better cab, but I may just go for the 10 year anniversary 102P cab which has the Logo right for standing on end. I know that is a trivial issue/reason to select this cab, but for me, no detail is too trivial.

    Thanks for all the input so far.
  14. Dbassmon


    Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I don't think you will move enough air with a single 12" speaker. 2x10 or 2x12 will let you feel some low end and keep up with a kick drum at acoustic volumes. A single 12 will run out of head room in a New York minute as that driver can only move so far. It might be fine is some spaces, but you will wish you had more in many situations.
  15. Freddels

    Freddels Musical Anarchist

    Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    You can move the logo, you know. :)
  16. Thumper


    Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Actually, I didn't. That makes the 102HF the frontrunner!

    I haven't actually played or even examined MarkBass cabs, that would require a trip to GC. I'd much rather hang at a real music shop (Guitar Czar in SLC), and he doesn't carry them.
  17. joelb79


    Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    A 210 works for me in most occasions, but a 112 never did. A 212 would be enough, but never one. A 115 works though. I'd feel better recommending a 210 over a 112 for a single cabinet solution anytime. If you get 2 individual 112's I think you'll bring the both of them more often then you think. At least I did, for a lot of Top 40 covers in your typical bar environment.
  18. Freddels

    Freddels Musical Anarchist

    Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    GC (and it's progeny) are the exclusive US dealers for Markbass. I believe the logo is held on with just glue. If you do a search, there are many that have removed the logo. Ask them how easy/difficult it was. It wouldn't take much to re-glue it in any position you want.
  19. claytitan


    Mar 12, 2008
    I have the 121p. When I'm in the PA I put it up on an amp stand put it off to the side and have no issues. Sounds good, sounds loud. I love it.