1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is anyone /not/ picky about their neck finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MUSHROOMSeAcOw, Jun 3, 2012.

1. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    I, for one, much prefer the feeling of a gloss neck. It just feels more solid and tangible to me. But I know there are hundreds of guys out there that will only play on a satin or oiled neck. There doesn't seen to be much middle ground for some reason. Just wanna hear some thoughts on what you prefer, and why.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Doesn't seem to matter to me. I have sanded, glossy, painted and graphite and like them all.

Best feeling neck to me if i had to pick one is the new Ernie Ball basses (sanded neck).

3. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

+1 Satin or my favorite oiled. For me when I sweat a lot and that happens every time I play live gloss necks feel sticky to me. I love the feel of the wood grain too..

4. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    I'm one of the satin neck guys. They just are faster and feel nicer to me. I don't like heavy glass because a manufacturer can use low grade wood, throw a gloss finish on it, and it will look ok. Just look at the new modern player Fender series. My Dingwall ABZ5 has a satin neck (primary bass) as well as my slightly modified Fender MIM Jazz (secondary bass). When some oils build up over the satin too much a take some steel wool or sand paper and bring it back to the original feel. Just my preference.

5. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I prefer a gloss neck, actually. I have played basses with stain or oiled necks that are good, but I really do prefer the gloss. Preferably matching the body color, as well.

6. Extra high gloss for me. If it isn't glossy enough, then many coats of pure carnauba wax applied hot and high pressure.

7. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I own all kinds, but I prefer the sanded/satin feel so my thumb can slide around smoothly.

8. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I don't really care on guitars, but my basses have to be oil finished. Any bass that I've tried with a hard finished neck just feels like crap to me.

9. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    +1 and I prefer bare naked wood of the exotic kind.

10. MrRobert

MrRobert

Jul 7, 2011
    Costa Mesa, CA
    My basses and guitars HAVE to have high gloss necks. Apparently I'm weird in that satin or oiled necks feel way slower and more sticky to me, whether I sweat or not. I've got it bad... I shudder when I play a non glossy neck. My highway one P is semigloss and I'm going to sell it because I can't handle that neck ha ha otherwise it's a totally killer bass.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't even know what any of my basses have, so I guess I'm not picky.

12. +1000. absolutly love the neck on my brand new HH ray. it's just so effortless and comfy. i'd say the sanded and satin are probably my favorite neck finishes just cause the ease of play, however glossed necks don't hastle me too much to my suprise. i once had an epi thunderbird and i thought the heavy gloss would wind up being uncomfortable during practices and gigs.. but it wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it'd be.

13. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    Satin only. Gloss necks attract fingerprints much worse, and I just don't like the feel of bare wood

14. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    I've got satin and gloss both. No particular preference. I'm more finicky about action.

15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've got original "glossy" finish on both my '75 and MIJ 62RI P-basses. The key is, they've both been played a heck of a lot and I keep them clean(the back of the neck that is). My favorite is the 9 piece maple neck on my Dingwall, about twice a year I apply Dingwall Neck Wax, it's worn smooth as glass and by far offers the best viscosity in every playing invironment.

I'm not too picky, I don't wory too much about wear and tear on any of my basses but I try hard to keep the back of the necks free from damage.

16. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I like raw wood

17. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    Does your Dingwall have a gloss finish on the back? Mine has a satin and I haven't heard about this oil yet.

18. Given the option I'll pick satin or natural oil but neck finish doesn't factor into the equation if I'm picking up a non-custom. I'll play whatever

19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    No, it's natural wood, just really smooth. The neck wax came with the bass way back when, I'm pretty sure it hasn't been available for some time.

20. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    bare wood - oiled.... here!