Is bass hard to learn?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by AvedisdrummerA, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Hey, I'm thinking about taking up bass so before I buy one, I was wondering if bass is hard to learn and get started with? I'm 16 and I've played drums and percussion for about 4 years so I know all the note values and rhythms and I can read pretty well, so it's not like I'm a noob as far as reading music. I'm used to listening to a song and playing along then after a couple times through I can play the beats close to what's supposed to be played on the drums... like I'm able to play close enough to keep playing along with the track without getting lost... is bass going to be anything like that after I learn the basics like notes and stuff? If someone has any answers or insights, please feel free to post. Thanks.
  2. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    You shouldn't have a terribly difficult time, especially with your history of being able to catch drums and hang onto the track by ear, and being able to sight read.

Go for it.
  3. Thanks for the reply, are there any online sources that I can attempt to start learning even w/o a bass guitar?
  4. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Also try for online 'lessons'.

The answer to your questions, are yes and yes. Bass is not that hard to get started on and before long you should do alright with playing basic changes by ear. This will of course vary depending on natural talent and the effort you invest.

And good luck!
  5. .... it has been said that bass is easy to learn, but difficult to master. The sense of groove, taste, tone, and feel don't come easy.

Don't spend another minute wondering if you should try - go for it and good luck.

:) :hyper:
  6. +1

Easy or not easy, does not matters, what matters is what you enjoy doing. Bass have deemed to be easier than guitar to start with (because it have less strings :rolleyes: ), but yet there are so many people who picked up bass, because they enjoy playing the instrument.

Contrary to lessons, I would suggest you to get some jaco songs and get hooked... :D
  7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    x2, +1 or whatever. Thats one of my favourite bass quotes.
  8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    ridin' on the +1 train! There's so many ways to play a bass, there are about two ways to play a guitar.
  9. That's not true. Just about any bass technique will transfer to the guitar with some practice, and vice versa. I'd say that that makes them about equal.
  10. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Sssh! This board is supposed to have a bias against guitars! :meh:
  11. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Bass is only deemed as "easier" because people have lower expectations of it.
  12. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    very true. it's not hard, it just depends how far you want to get into it. if you want to stay playing root notes to back up the guitar, and maybe some simple fills and **** that's fine, tons of people do it, and it's pretty easy. but if you want to be a solo artist or something, that will be much harder. if you don't challenge yourself, it won't get any harder.
  13. I'm allowed to agree with this, right?
  14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
  15. I had just been caught expressing a pro-guitar sentiment, and I wanted to make sure that that was an okay viewpoint for me to have. :rolleyes:
  16. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    guitar kicks ass.
  17. Indeed...if you think about it, it really relates to alot most things in fact my teacher has that quote on her start up sheet.