1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is bi-wiring useless?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mastershake, May 18, 2011.

1. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    according to an article i read if i understood it correctly bi-wiring(not to be confused with bi-amping) into two separate drivers from a single source is pointless and dose nothing to benefit your sound. but what about for two separate but different size drivers like 15' and 10' via a crossover passive/active. is it even talking about splitting frequency or did i misinterpret. heres the following article http://www.theaudiocritic.com/downloads/article_1.pdf

it should be #7

2. Hi.

Bi-wiring is a Hi-Fi thing where the folks can hear the difference in the speaker wires insulation. To them it isn't pointless.

There is some scientific data to back it up, but for me that science falls well below the normal interference noise floor.

In MI use I have never seen anyone use bi-wiring.

Most passive PA stacks use it though, but for entirely different reason as the signal chain is: full freq. source -> cross-over(s) where it's split to 2* lo+mid+hi (for example) -> to 3*2channel poweramps -> to the individual lo+mid+hi enclosures.

Regards
    Sam

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    besides, if you're talking about running 2 separate spkr cables from a bass amp to a single cab, you could actually damage the amp doing so.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    True, whether they're passively crossed over or not.
    No, they don't. They may convince themselves that they can, but they cannot.

5. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Cool article though.;)

6. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I'll stick with bi-winning ;)