1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Flea using a pick?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Muss, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Muss

Muss

Nov 20, 2007
    Is Flea using a pick?
    if so, in what songs?
    I was listening to californiacation today (it's been a while since the last time I heard that one, what a classic!) and then " Parallel Universe" came up...
    and I listned carefilly but still wasn't sure...
    please enlighten me

2. it's always a possibility but then again, it's not that hard to play finger style.

3. parallel universe

also some songs on stadium arcadium

(flea often states he wants to be proficient in all forms of playing, including picking)

4. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1, that song is definitely picked. Saw them live a few years ago and was very happy to see that not even Flea can get that even a tone, at that tempo, with fingerstyle :)

c-

5. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    parallel universe he does.
    this is the place he does.
    dont forget me he does.
    snow he does (at least for some parts).
    pretty sure he uses a pick on Fortune Faded, not 100% sure tho.

umm thats all i can think of right now.

6. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    He plays with a pick on some songs. In their Live From Slane Castle you can see him playing witha pick on Venice Queen, Zephyr Song and Parallel Universe.

7. Che

Che

Jan 13, 2007
    Canada
    the chorus during snow, most definitely. i've seen him looking around for his pick during that part of the song..guess it wasn't where it usually is.:meh:

i used to think parallel universe was fingerpicking, but im also glad to see it isnt haha.

8. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    yes to all these

any song with bass chords or double-stops in it he usually has a pick

fortune faded he has a pick
    bunker hill (a b-side)
    zephyr song

and he's as good as you'd expect him to be....even live he's flawless...Parallel Universe is pretty damn hard to play at that tempo for that long without missing a note

9. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    He used a pick???!!!

To some that would mean he's not a REAL bassist. Lol.

taught likes this.
  10. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    Believe it or not, most people play with a pick because they WANT to sound like they are playing with a pick. Not just because they can't play it with their fingers. Also, if there exists a person who can play Parallel Universe with their fingers, it's Flea. (for proof) check out the super even finger style tone on "C'mon Girl".

11. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Yeah, that mindset I could never understand.

I play with fingers, pick, thumb, and even "typewriter" style like Entwistle. It really depends on what sound I want. Hell, I used to sometimes even take solos with a drumstick (long time ago).

Experiment.

I also play up at the neck, down at the bridge...now, add picking, fingers and slap to these options (although you can't easily slap at the far extreme of the bridge, there is more than one slapping technique and position than just one) and you have MANY different tones and textures at your command....all before you even change pickups or touch tone controls or EQ.

It's like being a painter, and having more colors to choose from.

Experiment. Expand your tonal palette.

12. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    well flea play with a pick for that particular song , I have it on one DVD.

But seriously it is very easy song even with fingerstyle this shouldn't be difficult.

13. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    yea they played C'mon Girl when i saw them live (Philidelphia Wachovia Center, October '06) it was nice

14. aws

aws

Feb 10, 2008
    Adelaide, Australia
    He used a pick a fair bit on the By The Way album, I'm pretty sure. At the very least, Don't Forget Me, Zephyr Song, Venice Queen. But it wouldn't suprise me if it were most apart from By The Way, Can't Stop and Throw Away Your Television.

And yeah, as mentioned, the chorus on Snow, and Parallel Universe.

15. MurvintheWalrus

MurvintheWalrus

Sep 21, 2007
    Yeah like previously said, Don't Forget me, Snow Chorus ( in most live performances, but not always, some times he Les's it up) Most Double stops he does except Hey, on Stadium Arcadium

16. MurvintheWalrus

MurvintheWalrus

Sep 21, 2007
    AWS: On throw away, he uses really loud, effecrted finger Check the song out again

17. Muss

Muss

Nov 20, 2007
    sweet.
    thanks for the info :)

18. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Can't Stop is slap and By The Way is hard finger playing.

19. that's what i figured, especially on parallel universe

flea is human after all

20. aws

aws

Feb 10, 2008
    Adelaide, Australia
    I think you misread what I wrote? I know he uses his fingers on throw away, I meant he might have used a pick on all the BTW album apart from the title track, Can't Stop and Throw Away. :)