Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it possible to record remotely with my brother?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bearcubs9497, Feb 26, 2006.

1. My brother and I would like to be able to make some recordings. The problem is that he lives a good 100+ miles away, and neither one of us have the time to drive to each other's house.

What I'd like to be able to do is to collaborate remotely with him. He would record guitar and drum tracks on his home computer, and send them to me via email. I would then record bass and keyboard tracks and send them back to him for more work.

We'd like to try this software: http://www.acoustica.com/musicians-bundle.asp

Also, I'd be using Line 6's Bass Podxt Live (my brother has the Podxt Live). From what I've read on the Line 6 web site, I can connect the Podxt Live to my home computer via USB and use the Accousitca software to record my bass lines and keyboards.

My question, I suppose, is this; can this be done with the Accoustica software and the Bass Podxt Live?

2. Yes, I have done almost that exact thing. :smug:

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I do this type of thing nearly every day. I'm involved with an Online Music Collaboration website where we do very much what you say.

Songwriters upload bedtracks and then ask for musicians to write parts for instruments they'd like to add. Once the musician creates their part, they than upload a compressed mp3 mixed version of their audition part and if it's accepted, the song owner will then ask for a high quality wav version of the instrument-only track to be uploaded for them to add to their mix. Many times you're competing against a number of other musicians for the same part with the song owner taking the track they like best.

Lately I've been working on a 2-3 new songs a week doing this. I call it free "virtual session" work. lol... :D

Best of luck and have fun! :bassist:

4. Pruitt

Will the Bass Podxt Live and the Accoustica software allow me to do this?

5. I've another question.

Can using a digital recorder, such as a Tascam DP01, allow me to record tracks, upload them to my computer, send them to my brother via email, and download tracks my brother has sent to me?

6. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Acoustica, but if it's some form of multi-track recording software, it should work. It just needs to be able to export individual tracks in .wav format. Currently I'm using Sonar for this, but I've used a freeware program called "Audacity" in the past, and it worked pretty well. ;)

Yeah, you shold be able to use your DP01 for this. I have a Zoom MRS-8 that I also use for portable recording. You just need to be able to convert the track into a format your brother can use. MP3's will work, but they are compressed and you will lose fidelity. Best to use a wav, which means it will probably be too big to email as an attachment. But that's all up to you. ;)

Best of luck!! :)

7. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    You could use Yousendit for the file exchange if your email attachment size is limited.

8. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    It's very likely any tracks you create are going to be too big for email. Yousendit would be a good way to get around this. You could also look into setting up an ftp server at home if you are computer savvy and your ISP allows it.

9. Thanks for the yousendit link. Just bookmarked it.

10. Okay, I've been brainstorming, and came up with an idea that I need input on.

First, a bit of background. I really love the tone I get from my Peavey Pro 500 head and Digitech BP80, and I'd like to use it in my recordings with my brother. The head has a 1/4" pre-amp out jack, and a Low Z Balance out.

I have yet to buy the Bass Podxt Live, and am only considering buying it because of its ability to send signal straight into a USB port. As I mentioned in the above paragraph, I really am married to the tone I get out of the Peavey and am loathe to spend $400 on something when I've already got a setup that I'm happy with.

Would it be possible to use either the pre-amp or Low Z Balance outputs to go through either a USB port or the line-in port of my machine?

11. Okay.

Called Peavey this morning, and the rep said that it is possible to send a signal from my Pro 500's pre-amp output into the line input of the audio card of my computer. And, I can use my Pro 4x10 cab as a monitor.

Now, I guess all I need to do is get the Accoustica software and see what happens.

12. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I would suggest getting an external interface to plug your amp into when recording tracks. Something like the M-Audio Mobile PreUSB or something. They're less than $200 and the sound quality compared to most stock sound-cards is night and day IMO.

13. Okay.

I bought a 20' cable and a 1/8" adapter. I also downloaded the trial version of Acoustica's Mixcraft recording software. My signal chain is my bass into a Digitech BP80, then into the input of my Peavey Pro 500. Then I run from the pre-amp out into the line in of the sound card.

It seems to work pretty well, but I'll need to play with things for a little bit.

14. i used to chat with a guitarist on aim and we would just send files that way.