1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it time to get a winter post?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by PlayItAway, Dec 2, 2019 at 7:55 PM.

1. PlayItAway

PlayItAway

Apr 24, 2014
    I've had this bass (new, fully carved, made in Italian style) since 2015, been playing it regularly since 2016. So far there's been no need to change the post; it does get noticeably tighter in the winter, but it didn't seem like any cause for alarm.

However, the top has spent these last few years very slightly caving in. It doesn't strike me as a structural integrity problem as much as just the habitual slow stabilizing of the top that happens on many new carved basses.

But because of this, I'm honestly not sure if that'll translate to more (potentially dangerous) pressure on the back. I'll try to attach a pic to show y'all what it looks like right now. It's never been 100% perfectly symmetrical, though I'm not sure if it needs to be.

20191202_204711.jpg So there's a noticeable bulge where the soundpost is. There was always a tiny bit of it, but it seems especially pronounced now.

Do you think it's time for me to get a winter post? Or maybe even just get this one shortened?

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Non luthier here but if you’re seeing a bulge sounds like the post is or was too tight. Are you nowhere near a good bass luthier to have it checked?

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.