1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it Worth it ???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The modifier, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Is upgrading the electronics on a bass that is cheap (say a rogue or squire) and that is beat to hell (full of dents scrapes scratches chips and ductaped in places where the wood is showing trough the poly), but plays and sets up absolutely flawlessly and even with the weak stock pick ups it manages to kick out an awesome tone, is it worth dropping the money on something that looks like a piece of garbage but yet when you play it it feels so damn perfect :confused: Half my brain tells me yes, and the other says no.

2. pierreganseman

pierreganseman

Aug 23, 2008
    Brussels
    if you like the bass, listen to the half that says yes!!

but in a way, if you like the bass how it is... why change it?

cheers

3. Its just that it deserves some electronics that would be adequate for it to be gigged, the pick ups on it right now provide good tone but even with them set up to max height they still lack a lot of volume. (Thinking of dropping in an EMG P/J set )

4. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    lol people pay money for people to do that to their bass

5. ??? Vintage ing ??? :D

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Vintage relic...

I say, hell yes! It's your bass, and you like it. It's not how it looks, it's how it sounds, right?
    You'll get more recognition if it looks like you're producing amazing sounds out of what looks like crap, than if your were producing sounds of crap out of what looks like gold.

7. I think certain guitars look better with it, though I wouldn't pay money for something I can do myself.

Kinda like how a scar tells a story

It is a good idea if you like the feel of the bass and the sound.

I say go for it!

8. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    i totally agree

9. Do it. I'm in the process of modding an "on the verge of death/trash can" Squier. Bought it for $50 and a sandwich. What have you got to lose if you love the bass you're modding?

10. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Personally, I'm always trying to find cheaper instruments that have great playability -- less to lose from damage/theft/etc. And then I also don't obsess over every little nick and ding.

But, if you like the tone, consider a simple booster pedal before new electronics. Electronics mean batteries that can die, more parts to fail, etc. AND a whole new world of tones to figure out if you like. But if you like your tone, but for the volume, then boost it. That's what a preamp is going to do (among other things), and if you get more output, you might find you don't need anything else.

You should also post pics so we can judge how well beaten it is :bassist:

Cheers!

ltt

11. Exactly what I was thinking, its settled, just ordered these right now http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--EMGPJSET , I cant wait til they arrive :hyper:

12. I see what you mean, but seeing as how simple these EMG's are to install with the quick connect connectors, I see myself having no problem in removing them if for some reason im not happy with what they do to my sound, can't wait until they arrive:bassist: