1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it Wrong to Have String Buzz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rarbass, Mar 29, 2009.

1. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Alright so the way my bass is set up, when I play the open A, I can hear the string vibrating against the fret. I realize peolpe usually try to stop this, but if I like the kind've crispy sound I get from it, is it ok to leave it like that? I don't find it to be an overwhelming sound and it doesn't stop me from playing smoother stuff, but when I'm playing stuff that I like to use a twangy sound for, I like how my bass sounds. So is it wrong to leave it like this?

Don't know much about set-up, just curious...

2. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    IMHO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

But if YOU like it YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS
    Buzz away my friend!!! Can't hurt nothin :)

3. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    +1
    Some people like it like that:)

4. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    ok good to know thanks guys!

5. anon65884001

anon65884001 Guest

Feb 1, 2009
    No,
    But they are annoying

6. guizzy

guizzy

Nov 17, 2008
    Montreal
    You like it? Then all the more power to you; you'll be able to be satisfied with cheaper, poorly set up basses. If you ever find a bass you can't get to properly buzz at all, be sure to drop me a line; I'll take it off your hands ;)

7. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Mine is set up with a little fret buzz, doesn't harm anything.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I notice a bit of clicking on my frets when I play the lower strings (E, B, and F#) rather aggressively and I actually like it. Gives me a bit of a bite to my tone and it reminds me of the slap technique that I don't use much. To each his own.

9. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    4 me it depends: is it buzz you only hear acoustically?
    or, is this buzz making it through the amp?

The former is fine, the latter is a concern.

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I have my no. 1 set up to be buzz free, but if I adjust my attack angle, and hit harder, I can bring it in, really helps with that rock snarl.

11. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    play it as you like

12. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    It depends on what type of music you play and what YOU like.
    I work it into my sound. I prefer bright punchy P bass sound with some string buzz.
    Check out this video. This guy has excessive fret buzz but I think that only bass players really notice it. It kind of growls IMO.

13. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    In the biblical sense, I hear that it's an abomination against God, but if you like it, keep it. Buzz by itself will do not harm to your bass. A lot of guys like a little buzz to their bass.

14. holllowbody

holllowbody

Mar 25, 2009
    The only bad thing that I can think of regarding fret buzz is that the frets will wear down quicker. That means you will have to refret more often.

15. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I'm fairly certain that John Entwistle's tone often included some, if not quite a bit, of fret rattle and buzz.

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Mine buzz's a little, but you can't hear it through my amp

17. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Bingo!:D

18. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I also spotted some pretty excessive mullet in this video.

Some fretbuzz is fine. I like my basses to be pretty much fretbuzz free, but to have some when I dig in.

19. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I've always believed that minor fret buzz doesn't really make it through the amp - that it's mostly just an accoustic thing. It's hard to hear your sound out in the audience so... is that right in the collective experience here?