1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it wrong to sell your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickn, Feb 16, 2008.

1. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm thinking of selling my first bass, an Ibanez GSR200. I've got a friend who is already interested in buying it. But I'm a bit hesitant. I don't have any particular attachment to it, but I see a lot of people on these forums saying "Such-and-such was my first bass... oh, I wish I hadn't sold it..."

I've had the bass for about 4 months now and I've moved on to other, less crappy basses. :p I don't think I have any real attachment to it... If I sell it, will I end up regretting it? :oops:

2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I sold mine within 6 months.:p

3. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I sold my first bass after 7 years. I have virtually no regrets about it. I hadn't played it for months, so I traded it in on a new bass, and I just hope that somewhere, a 12 year old kid is getting as much joy out of it as I did.

In a way I wish I had kept it purely for sentimental reasons, but I never played it, so figured that this was the best way.

4. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I sold my first crappy bass as fast as I could. The only real use it would have today is as a memento of the "old days".

5. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just tracked down and re-acquired my first bass, an old Kay EB-3 copy. It's a pretty unique sounding 3/4 size electric, with very microphonic pups, so I will probably use it for some effects heavy groove stuff, maybe even jack up the strings for some slide. Its at my parents house on the east coast right now, but I hope to have it in my hands soon.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I couldn't bring myself to do it. I still have it, sitting in a gig bag, and I'll likely never have any use for it. Maybe one day if I have a kid that shows some interest in playing, then it will be used again. Otherwise, it isn't worth very much money wise, so getting rid of it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me. It is a metallic red Vester P+J 4 string.

7. fishsome

fishsome

Dec 17, 2003
    Chicagoland Area
    Well, some say you will. I didn't sell my first bass (which was a Bently Fender P bass knock off) because my good friend said not to because it was my first instrument. Now I look back on it and am glad I didn't. Mainly because I paid 300 bucks for it and would have probably only received 50 for it. To me 50 bucks isn't worth one less bass around the house for me to play when I break a string or when I'm not in the mood for a different sounding bass. But I tell you if I could get close to what I paid for it... yeah probably. Haha.

8. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I don't think I'll sell my first bass, I wouldn't get enough to justify it really. There might be a pint when it's useless but I'm still playing it regularly, so I'll keep it.

9. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    My first bass was a Daion Savage. Nice bass but after getting a Steinberger and a custom build P-style, it just sat in the corner. I sold it and never looked back.

10. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    sold my squier. No looking back, much happier with my Fender, but now i want a spector!! BUHAHAHAHAHA :spit:

:bag: just felt like hiding with smilies!!! BUHAHAHAHAHA AGAIN :spit:

11. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I set fire to mine and threw it out of my bedroom window. Then I went out into the garden and jumped up and down on it until the neck broke, which took longer than I expected. A guitarist friend still keeps a length of its blackened fingerboard as a memento. It was a Satellite jazz copy with a plywood body. Awful thing it was.

12. My first was a 70's Rickenbacker 4001 Fretless with checkerboard binding. Do I regret it?
    The horror!

13. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Yes - don't do it, you won't be able to give it to your Grandkids and tell them "Here - this was my first bass".....

14. Your first instrument is like your first real girlfriend (or boyfriend for those of you so inclined). You remember her fondly... but fondle something else now :)

I had a Hohner four string that seems to be in every picture that I despise from the 1980s'. I have a Ken Rose 5 string that was my second bass. I had it made while I was stationed in Germany. I will hold on to it for life and pass it to my kid.

By the way... I married my second girlfriend. :bassist:

15. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Oh, man.... that is painful. I still have my old checkerboard Rick (not a fretless) and would never sell it. I did sell my first bass, a Hagstrom H-IIB... think about it from time to time but don't really regret it. (Sold it in .. 1974?)

16. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    No! I'm keeping my peavey milestone IV, I love the thing and it will get some mods sooner or later. A beater bass she is, black spray painted pick guard and custom made DICE KNOBS!!!! (heheh all you need is a drill and some dice)

I say mod the crap out of that bass until it interests you again.

17. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I sold my first and even though it was a good idea at the time I wish I had it back now! My instruments are the last things that will get sold in times of hardship. Gotta keep 'em, they all have their own personalities and are special. I guess they are like girlfriends but I more liken them to having different kids.
    Todd :)

18. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    no one would buy mine!

19. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    I won't sell my Yamaha BB300 for anything. It's big and heavy but it sounds awesome.

20. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Yes.

I have fond memories of playing everything from Blink 182 to trying to rock Mudvayne on my Squire Affinity P.

Chances are your first bass is also your most inexpensive - so why sell it?