Is Juan alderete a shredder?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Suckbird, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004

Ehh, i have never heard him shred in racer x, i guess i missed something...
  2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    ...then you never listened close enough and heard the track 'Scarified.' Most folks consider that 'shredding.'
  3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I have heard that track and IMHO i was more impressed when i heard it on guitar pro than the actual song...
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He certainly chilled out for Mars. Very tasteful over the top effects useage. And in context, I think shred is refering to the genre, as in "he plays fast" as to match the tempo of the music. Shred/Thrash, you know...
  5. He's a most excellent shredder, but left Racer X for something not as good IMO.
  6. I much prefer the Volta to Racer X. Racer X (for me) is just TOO cheesy. I loathe shredding. I think him and Jon Theodore are one of the tightest rhythm sections around. I like his fretless playing on Frances The Mute too. He's got a nice little solo buried somewhere in 'Cassandra Gemini', and you can really hear him ragging his distortion pedal.
  7. sheehan_17

Jun 3, 2005
    i much prefered him in racer x... theres nothing more cool than having sick chops.
  8. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Check out the bass in this link.

That may not be Alderete playing, as this is Paul Gilbert live. but as I recall the bass was very close to what you'll hear on this.

Pay attention to the bass after each of the arpeggiated sections on guitar, and check out that sick unison line that the guitar and bass play in the middle after the drums drop out.

I'm not a shred guy personally, but I remember getting one of those little tear-out 45's in G****r Player years ago, and I couldn't help but be impressed by the chops.

Yeah, I'd say he qualifies as a shredder.
  9. in the interview he said he was ashamed of his Racer X days, which made me realize John Alderete is dead, Juan alderete lives.