1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is my amp dead for good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by subdude67, Jan 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    I have a TC Electronic BH 250.
    A few days ago we had an electrical problem on the power grid and the voltage went up to almost 400 volts for about 2 hours. (I live in Africa in case you wonder.....) Every single light and appliance in the house got fried. My amp was plugged in but not running when this happened, however, since that day it doesn't work anymore, when i switch it on nothing happens.
    Is it possible that the amp got damaged even though it was not running at the time?

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Hopefully it's just a blown fuse.

Dieboy, RedJag and Two-Spirit like this.
  3. Take it to a repair shop.

~Almost~ anything can be fixed.

4. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    We have the same power sockets as the UK and each plug has a built in fuse. I hoped that the fuse was blown but it is still OK.....

5. There's a fuse under the hood, here's a shot of a TC Electronics board & the fuse is in the top right:

40579d1473475534-img_1888x.

Dieboy, Spidey2112, MrLenny1 and 9 others like this.
  6. The amp should have a fuse. Have you checked it?

Two-Spirit likes this.
  7. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    And taking it to the shop means I have to send it to Europe with a willing tourist and then have it sent somewhere so it isn't without its challenges....

8. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    You don't have any electronic technicians in Kenya? Being that the amp wasn't powered on, I doubt the damage is very serious.

9. Go with the info KBD gave you. That's the most likely problem.

It's the thing labled F 5A H 250V. It should just pull out.
    Then get another replacement fuse, order from TC if you can't find one anywhere else.

If you aren't comfortable checking the fuse on your own, perhaps there is someone else local to you who can.

Good luck.

10. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    Just opened the amp and checked internal fuse, unfortunately it is also OK....

11. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    There are electronic repair shops here but they are not very good at "high tech" stuff....

12. Hopefully it's been caught by that internal fuse.

Unfortunately I suspect without the amp working the mega over voltage may have gone through to parts that don't like it without enough current to blow the fuse.

13. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    Any idea what parts would be affected by this? The internals of the amp look perfect, there is nothing visibly melted, burned or otherwise suspicious?

14. You need to have someone check the fuse that KBD pictured and that I described. Stop wracking your brain over what might be wrong before you've checked what is the most likely cause, that fuse.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  15. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Is it a light-weight with a switching supply, or does it have a conventional power transformer?

16. You have no way of knowing that there is anything "high tech" wrong until you've had the fuse checked. That is not too much more difficult than changing a light bulb. Even your bad tech should be able to do that.

17. Please stop right there for a moment and let the OP catch his breath on this.
    The first thing to do, before worrying about anything else, is to check the fuse.
    That is basic electronics repair 101.

Dieboy, MrLenny1, JRA and 2 others like this.
  18. No idea sorry. I am the wrong kind of engineer. Check the fuse as advised and you may get a happy ending quickly.

As to checking the fuse I imagine if you pull it out and put a multimeter across it a failed one will show infinite resistance and a functional one will show resistance. It's supposed to pass a kW of power so it won't be much resistance or it would heat up, some fraction of an ohm would be my guess. Any measurable resistance means it still works and you have bigger problems.

CarpeBasso likes this.
  19. Missed that, dang. I think you will need to go the hitchaflight to paradise route to have a hope of repairing it for less than having your friend bring you another one back

20. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    How did you check the fuse? Do you have a multimeter? With the amp unplugged from the wall, is the power switch even working? I am assuming the power switch is first in line before the fuse here. With a meter, check continuity through the switch, as you would the fuse