Is the Ampeg SV212 AV loud enough for a small-medium/large gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkMetal, Apr 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. FunkMetal

FunkMetal

Mar 26, 2012
    I'm in the market for a ''one size fits all'' bass cab. I have a 500w promethean amp head. Do you think the Ampeg SV212 AV would give me plenty of power in most situations? I'm leaning towards a 2x12, since I currently have a single 2x10 and I want a tad more power to cut through the mix and get a more aggressive bass tone.

Thanks!

EDIT: Most likely it will be used for practice, small local bars/venues and potentially large gigs with PA support. I would like to have one amp for all three scenarios.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I use mine with tube amps in the 100-300 watt range but I've never wanted for volume. My 2x12 and 2x 1x12 setups have replaced my 8x10. YMMV.

3. FunkMetal

FunkMetal

Mar 26, 2012
    I will probably replace my amp down the road, but looking for a replacement cab for now. I'm sure the tube amps sound great with that cab!

4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Inactive

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    No such thing. The cabinet that works if you play with a loud drummer, two guitarists with Marshall stacks, and no PA support doesn't work so well at a coffee house gig.

If you ALWAYS have PA support, or you don't play too loudly, 2X12's should be fine. Get in a loud situation with no PA support and you won't be able to keep up.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    If all you need is a tad more, I think it would work fine. It takes a pretty good pounding.

High Camp and P-oddz like this.
  6. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I agree - I don't typically gig less than a 212, but it should be a good step up from your 210. I really like the 212av

DaveDeVille and freedomryder like this.
  7. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I use my BA210V2 combo for small places, my 212AV for medium places (mostly with a V4B) and my 215 for loud places (mostly with an SVT). If your 210 is almost loud enough for you - you should be good with just the 212. I have pushed mine pretty hard with an SVT and the speakers have held up - for about three years now.

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    IMO, Ampeg has done a great job with their 12 based cabs. A 212AV would work fine for your situation I would think.

High Camp likes this.
  9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I agree. If you want a tad more than a 210, the 212 will likely provide it.

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    It's about portability these days but given the size of the 212, I'm surprised that Loud hasn't released a 412 with two drivers per chamber, no horn.

Two stacked would be an 810 killer. I suspect that metal players would flock to them.

Bass 45, JJR58 and johnpbass like this.
  11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    An SVT 412AV would be killer! As I said in my post above, I think Ampeg has done a great job with their 12 based cabs. SWR did a 412 no tweet non-vertical align several years back, IIRC. I've never actually heard one but it looked good on paper. I'm not sure why those didn't catch on.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    beans-on-toast likes this.
  12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I had two 412 Mesa cabinets. They sounded great. They were also very heavy. Heavy doesn't go over well these days.

High Camp and johnpbass like this.
  13. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Man would i love to see a release of an Ampeg 412AV!,
    Or whatever it would be named.
    And designed as you described Beans.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  14. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Yes, I think the 212av would be great for medium/large gigs. I ran one hard at a GC earlier this year looking for a lighter weight single cab solution. It got loud but the tone wasn't what I was after.

Ran it with a PF500, SVT7Pro, and a V4b.

15. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'd buy one of those. I wouldn't need it, but I'd buy it.

16. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Considering i have an 810E, which i don't need.
    I'd get a newly designed Ampeg 412.

17. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah - I have two 212AVs and just bought a Heritage 810. The 412 would fit in nicely.

My name is Alex and I have a problem...

DaveDeVille and JJR58 like this.
  18. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    I would already have 2-212 AV's, but my amp does not run at 2ohms.

Oh the pain!

19. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    That means you don't have an SVT or V4B? Ouch is right!

;)

20. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    That is correct.

I have the "other" white meat.