Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the winter here yet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    So...How´s the winter treating you all?

It´s been snowing quite a lot here in Iceland for the past few days.. It has snowed about 16 inches (over 40cm). It was fun at first, but now the boring part has started...

Driveways are getting blocked, hard to get in and out of a parking space without getting stuck etc.

I know that if I don´t post pics, then it isn´t true, so here goes...
    These are taken from my balcony door out in to the yard of the apartment complex I live in.
    I nearly froze my toes off just taking these three pics, it has also been very cold today :(

My shoe compared to the bulge of snow:
    [​IMG]

Just about to topple over...
    [​IMG]

Snow, snow, snow
    [​IMG]

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    winter is strange in florida.

i have to put a sweater on in the morning while waiting for the bus.

by the time my class is over, it's way too hot to wear a sweater.

strange, strange winter.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    You poor thing :crying: :)

Damn I wouldn´t mind being in a warmer country :cool:

4. It's been about 15 C warmer than average this winter.

I wish I had my pictures from Rankin Inlet with me. I could post some of them. I think that it was -56 C without windchill (-75 C or so with the windchill) on one of the days I was home. It was a blizzard and it formed a drift at the RCMP detachment (where my Dad works) that went over the roof (a two-story building) and had one of their Suburbans buried inside of it. It was nuts. They stopped parking so close to the detachment after that. :eek:

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    -56 celsius? Sheesh! I've heard about that kind of temperatures in Siberia but.. I don't think I've ever had it colder than -40C and that was quite close to a historical record.

-18 celsius outside at the moment, with 9m/s winds that make it cut like a knife. The meteorological institute is expecting -25 during the rest of the week. It's been a strange season, it was around the freezing point last weekend.

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

I used to live in southern Arizona. There, winter means that between October and December, it'll get cold (less than 50) in the middle of the night, and as soon as the sun rises, it's instantly 70-80 degrees. More than one January it'd start hitting 100 degrees in the afternoon. Drive to Tuscon, and there's snow, skiing, and below-0 temperatures on top of Mount Lemon, and it's 95 degrees in town.

7. Yeah, winter is stupid around here. It was beach weather last week. Mid 70's and sunny. Now its "cooled" off down to the mid 50's. Im ready for some real winter.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ahhh.....snow. Snow is one of those things that the people who do not have it love. When you live in it, you can't stand it after a few days. I grew up in Pennsylvania, and the snow was cool for about three days maybe. I know how you feel Ivar. :D

27 straight days of rain up here in the Puget Sound. It stopped briefly for one day, then started right back up. I'm talking rain too, not just showers or on and off rain. A few of those 27 days it poured all day long.

-Mike

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Its been getting nasty in NY after a week of abnormaly high 40 - 50's . We still have a good amount of winter to endure.

10. We have had an unusual warm spell here in New England. It's been in the 40's and 50's last week, then Saturday night it drop down into the low 20's with high winds making it feel like it was 20 degrees colder. Sunday morning all my car doors were frozen. NOW, it's going to be back in the 50's again by the weekend. Very weird

We haven't had that much snow yet, I think it's my fault. I bought a new snow blower this year to replace my crappy little 2 cycle (motor) snow thrower.

I kind of got a feeling that our mild weather is not going to last much longer, we are due for some nasty weather. :crying:

Good luck with all that snow Ivar. To me snow looks best when it remain on film.

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Here in Niagara, it's weird. We had about 2-4 feet of snow for a couple weeks straight, then it melted, then it rained, froze, snowed, melted and now it's raining again and the sun is shining.

This country is messed.

-Mark

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    We had a few snows in late fall in PA, but so far, no signs of winter yet.

13. Aaahhhhh, summer....

....waitaminute, I HATE summer! I love cold weather, and the rain (I LOVE rain) and the way my hay fever doesn't act up....lucky schmucks!

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

15. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    It hasn't been too bad here yet snow wise, but it's been COLD the last few days. On Saturday it was 60 degrees out and then on Sunday it was 8 degrees out and it snowed :confused:

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It's "The Day After Tomorrow" coming true. Look out!!! :D

-Mike

17. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Hasn't been as cold as it could be for this time of year but since I'm a snowmobile tour guide also in charge of trail maintenance for myself, the dog teams, horse sleigh and skiers I spend a lot of time outside.

Had end to end tours a couple days ago and at -30 below it was a bit tough, but it's surprising how you can start getting used to it. Also odd how my appetite starts going up as the temps go down too!

It's definitely winter but I could use a little more snow to fill a few more bad spots on the trails and some overflow up in the valley could be helpful too! (or a nightmare! :eek:)

When I start seeing lots of overflow I really feel it's the middle of winter!:scowl::D:rollno:

18. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    The weather in Chicago has been pretty weird too. It was almost 60 degrees the other day, which is almost unheard of for January, and now today it's about 30 or so. It tried snowing today, but it held off for some reason. I want below freezing temps for the ponds to start freezing over! I need my pond hockey fix this season. :)

AuG

19. thekyle

thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO
    It is pretty crazy here in central Colorado. The most snow in 22 years (my first year up here no less). There is about a 5' base, and we are getting 8-10" a week. On October 9th (October 9th!!!!) we had about 3' fall in one day.

20. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ha!

So true!

I couldn´t agree more!

When I woke up this morning and looked out the window, all I saw was white. There was a snowstorm outside.
    When I finished showering the storm had subsided so I could drive to work.

The worst part is that we have a lot of snow now and the heat is supposed to go up today, the snow will thaw a bit and then it will freeze again tomorrow or the next making the situation a whole lot worse! Nothing but ice everywhere :mad: