1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is there a "bassist" character archetype?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pie_man_25, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Well, okay, maybe not "archetype" that's for like movies and literature and drama and stuff. What I mean is, is there a general character for a bassist?

like, I play bass, and I'm pretty laid back. One of the guitarist in my band also plays bass, and he is pretty laid back. I know most local bassists I know are pretty laid back. However, I know some that also play piano/keyboards are kinda stuck up and really cocky.

Is anybody else finding some commonalities with this, or even that certain character traits/types generally play certain instruments?

2. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Donald~Dunn.

3. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Well, guitarists seem to think we can't play music. That kinda counts.

4. Gunnerhea86

Gunnerhea86

Jul 29, 2009
    yes ... of all musicians, other bass players are generally the chillest. i find that most of the guitarists in my area are trying to one up eachother. whether it be skill level, or who has the best gear. and all drummers i know secretly want to play guitar and or sing. these are my observations of my local music scene

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Agreed... Bassists are usually the coolist band member.

6. TSkills

TSkills

Jul 1, 2009
    IME bassist are usually the "music nerd" of the group. We usually know the most theory and listen to the widest range of tunes...

7. token-black.

40th_Jubilee_Bass_Player_Smurf.

Bass.

8. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    And best looking, most intelligent and we've got the longest...

necks.

9. All the bass players I personally know, including myself, are pretty laid back and easy going. I think playing bass and being laid back go hand-in-hand.

10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Well, you could look at it from this angle... certain instruments are favored by people with certain character traits.

And then there are those guys that are like, thinking outside the box.

11. Raccio14

Raccio14

Mar 3, 2010
    pretty much what everyone else has said. Most definitely the most diverse as far as music goes, and I'd recon the most down to earth typically. That's not to say we're not weird :p

but yeah, its all better than the gui****s who are stuck up as hell sometimes xD

12. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
  13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    From Bill Anschell's guide to jazz jam sessions:

"Bassists are not terribly smart. The best bassists come to terms with their limitations by playing simple lines and rarely soloing. During the better musical moments, a bassist will pull his strings hard and grunt like an animal. Bass players are built big, with paws for hands, and they are always bent over awkwardly. If you talk to the bassist during a break, you will not be able to tell whether or not he’s listening."

And yes, the rest of the band gets stereotyped just as nicely. Read the whole thing.

14. As far as I see it, the bassist is the guy/gal who supports everyone else around, making sure everything goes smoothely and everyone is happy, without taking much credit for it or wanting the spotlight.

15. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    See Mio from "K-On": http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651435

16. I've often found bass players to be incredibly laid back... Although sometimes I have an incredibly short fuse and won't hesitate to rip a new one inot the backside of whichever unfortunate soul irritated me at practise that day ^^

I seriously LOL'd at the GypsyCafe vid too..

17. For sure! My personality has always been that of the unsung hero. Wether it was sports, socially, musically etc. Im the dude that doesnt like much attention but yet I secretly relish in the fact that I know you cant do it without me. Now that I think about it, my career has followed in the same way....Im a paramedic, saved many, many lives but its the Hospitals that get all the credit. Yeah, bass player for sure.

18. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I wish I could say I'm as laid back as everyone else seems to be... but I'm pretty type A, very driven, energetic, exercise nut, conservative, somewhat obsessive...

19. Laid back, bigger, smarter :)

20. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    I feel the same way! That's true about the paramedics as well, you guys are there in the really crucial moments between life and death for many.

Music is dead to me without bass!