Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a bassist documentary film?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JoeB, Nov 23, 2004.

1. JoeB

JoeB

Dec 19, 1999
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Hello fellow substers,

I'm doing a little research and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a documentary film about bassists?

Standing in the Shadows of Motown was not quite what I had in mind because I'm looking for something focusing on just the bass.

The closest thing I've found is Jay Leonhart's one-man show called "The Bass Lesson" which is a loose history of the bass and has humorous anecdotes many bassists will relate to, but it is not an actual doc of the life of a bassist.

Any of you seen an actual documentary?

Cheers,
    Joe

***I'm sure I've played more basses poorly than any man in history. This must have some cosmic effect on the universe, and I'll have to answer for it when I die.
    —Dick Smothers

2. Hey Joe,
    Check out "Rising Low", which is Mike Gordon's film about the making of Gov't Mule's "The Deep End". It may not exactly qualify as a documentary, but I think it's close to what you're looking for. It's somewhat about Allen Woody's life, and somewhat about bassists and bass playing in general.

3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I second the Rising Low suggestion.

at the very least...it's a must see for all bassists.

besides...your research would not be complete without proper recognition for the all time most influential bass player of all time.....Joey Arkenstat!

:bag:

4. There's a movie about original Beatles bassist Stuart Sutcliffe. The movie is titled Backbeat.

Not really what you're looking for, I guess.

5. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    I agree that "Rising Low" is probably the closest thing to what you are looking for but if you find something else out there please post!

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I was just watching some type of documentary or film about a bunch of bassists doing something in memory of Allen Woody. Can't recall the cable channel I was watching.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    There's always "Triumph of the Underdog," which is about Charles Mingus. It's very much a "bassist documentary film." But, it's not about a slab player.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That would be the aforementioned "Rising Low." Great film if you can get past the hippy-dippiness of Mike Gordon. :D

9. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    i was just watching a dvd called "electric miles" about miles davis and just thought about the fact that someone should do a doc on the life of jaco while most of the people who knew him are still alive

10. i also enjoy rising low