1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a correct height to set up your EUB at?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Irishbass, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Just wondering.... I play an NS CR4M but this could apply to any EUB I guess... When setting up the tripod I seem to vary the position of the height from gig to gig, I suppose the obvious answer is what feels most comfortable, but to set it up as close as possible to a full size DB where do I set the headstock/nut in relation to my eye level? ie at the moment I have it set up with the nut of the neck just above my left eye and it feels very comfy until I play up the neck, then i seem to be bending quite alot to reach into the notes. and I suffer from a very bad back and sometimes get neck/shoulder pain too. I have never played a real DB for longer than a song or two and that was long ago so I cant remember how it felt for position... I hope its not a very dumb question folks ...:confused:

2. You sound like you have it at about the right height. The nut should be about even with your eyebrow. This is all in relation to your own body's proportions. This advice worked for me on DB, I'm not sure if it will work for you. Don't bend from the waist, it strains your back. Bend your knees slightly, like a shortstop waiting for a line drive. Can you reach the end of the fingerboard without bending? Try doing this,my teacher described it as "The big Hug" Put your arms around the bass as if you were hugging it.
    If you can reach the end of the fingerboard without bending, then it's the right height for you. This is very hard to explain without demonstrating it, but give that a try. Good luck.

3. It seems best to me to get it at a height that puts your right arm/hand in a position that's comfortable and where you produce the tone you're after and adjust your left hand to suit. That's a narrower range for me than vice versa. I'm not burdened with formal training and came up with that on my own, so take it for what it's worth. I've never played EUB but the principle seems the same as on URB. How come all the bass acronyms sound like belching noises?