Is this a Fake Ric TRC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Spotted this listing and was interested. So I reached out to the seller and asked if it's a real, OEM Ric TRC or a 3rd party reproduction. He said that he didn't know and told me to just buy it or not.

I sent him back a cordial response telling him why it's so important to know and explained on how he could determine if it's legit or not. I even told him that it's likely worth more than $85 if it's real. Well, he was about as rude of a seller that I've ever experienced. Told me to mind my own business and a lot of other not so nice things.

Anyway, this look real or fake to you?

Link to reverb ad:
    Truss Rod Cover Replacement-White | LaSalle 's 4 String

Update: it's taken down off of Reverb for being counterfeit, but now on eBay.. Rickenbacker Bass Truss Rod Cover | eBay

Pics from ad:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I'm not an expert, but this one sure looks weird compared to all the others I see in Google Images. The "b" and "a" look especially peculiar to my eyes.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I have little faith

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  4. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Also not an expert, but it looks immediately sketchy to me: the space between "i" and "c", the lean of the "c", the sloppiness of the "ba"...

5. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I'm going to say fake, that b looks funky!!!!

6. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I'd say FAKE :)

7. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Yes. That TRC is identical to one I had from AliExpress a while ago. Blotchy painting onto white ABS plastic.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  8. Quadzilla

Given his attitude, I'm glad that it was pulled. Guy was a total.....well, never-mind....

Clark Dark likes this.
  9. Quadzilla

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Is there no end to their chicanery?

11. That’s 100% a fake, and a bad one at that.

byoung93888, jamro217 and bobyoung53 like this.
  12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Absolutely, fake.

ICM, toothguy, byoung93888 and 2 others like this.
  13. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Well, depending on when it was made, Rick TRC's are different; sometimes noticably so. The one on my '73 4001, for example, is a bit different from the one on my '01 4003. Except for one thing; they both have the model number under the "made in USA". So, yeah - that's a fake one. A rather nice, serviceable fake, though - IMO...:cool:

14. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    :poop: F A K E :poop:

jamro217 likes this.
  15. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    The fact that he got angry and told you to mind your own business when you've told him that if it is legit it is worth more is enough to say it's fake without even looking at it.

gebass6, ICM, jamro217 and 3 others like this.
  16. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    everyone email the seller and ask, lol, sounds like a tool

JoeVictim and BAG like this.
  17. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

The real question is how does a piece of plastic cost so much!? Like come on now, what does it cost rickenbacker, $1 to make it?

18. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    Do they no longer sell them with exchange? I don't think they were asking for much, more of a service. They sold them outright but they were abused. This shows why.

19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    AFAIK, all genuine Ric TRC’s have raised plastic lettering, anything flat and a little shabby like that is fake. Let’s be generous and say the real injection molded ones cost $2.00 to make, which has nothing to do with street value. For a while Ric would only replace a broken or damaged TRC if you mailed in the old one, now they are just officially unobtanium, other than people parting them out and on EBay. Aliexpress has recently started selling counterfeits, all badly screen printed like that one.

Clark Dark and jamro217 like this.
  20. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Well, that's not right. Actually, all the raised-letter ones are genuine, but not all genuine ones are raised-letter. Certainly the old ones before the mid-1970s or so, were back-painted acrylic. Many of the "vintage" models (such as the V63, C64, etc.) and some of the specials have back-painted acrylic as well (it's all in the book). Also, all the lefty ones ("smiley" or regular - would that be a "frowny"?) are back-painted acrylic.

But the one in question here is certainly a fake.

Garret Graves, mapleglo, ICM and 6 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021