1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a good find?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benthebassist, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Benthebassist

Benthebassist

Jan 14, 2020
    Found this 1985 serial MIJ “PJ” bass. It’s not a jazz bass special but seems exactly like one! Anyone know much about them?

the pole pieces in the pickups are huge and as a result the bass sounds really really punchy, very impressed with the TBX as well for a passive bass it’s got a lot of attack.

Spent most of last night doing a set up as it felt like it hadn’t been played in over a decade.

I suppose these Japanese things are becoming rare, happy with this purchase just wanted to know if anyone else can tell me some more about these basses.

Attached Files:

2. I know they are high quality instruments.

3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    probably preferable over my Power Jazz Bass Special which is ALL Jazz on steroids, even the P PU

4. Benthebassist

Benthebassist

Jan 14, 2020
    this one is the most perfect blend of PJ I’ve come across yet, with fresh rotosounds it sounds just like duff McKagans tone. I have a deluxe Mexican p bass with a 3 band active EQ and I’m more attached to what a maxed TBX can do

5. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    yes

6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I want yours! lol like with all my stash I'll swap on flats before any mods to find perfection

7. Benthebassist

Benthebassist

Jan 14, 2020
    I don’t know why anyone would mod these, the pickups are irreplaceable

rickwebb likes this.
  8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    sadly, mine isn't what yours is, probably by a wide margin even tho they're from the same series, yours likely has a true P tone available and mine comes nowhere near in current form. for what it is the Power Jazz is all Jazz and does it exceedingly well, however, I'm a P guy and need that in the mix. for $300 it was worth it to satisfy my curiosity but it's too good of a player to let sit cos I'm unhappy. love the grey finish on yours, a very sexy bass!

9. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    What you have there is a PJ-555 from the Fender "boxer series"
    They cam in lots of colours and were good working instruments for sure. I knew a player in another band that rocked one as his main bass for years (and always left his BC Rich sitting in the case...it was the early 90's)

Have fun playing it and enjoy it for sure.

Pauler1976, geof_ and Bass V like this.
  10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    sounds great and can be found under $500

Clark Dark and rickwebb like this.
  11. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd love to know where. Actually been searching for one of these and I'm seeing 700-900 plus shipping! OP - YES - a great find! Rare and in demand! :thumbsup:

Bassdirty and Reedt2000 like this.
  12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    saw a google mention of sub $500-over 1K available. check'm out!

13. Crunchy Growl

Crunchy Growl

Jan 31, 2018
    Love these Basses, good prices, great build these PJs are on a constant watch list!

14. I know the one I played once was pretty cool. Great feeling neck.

15. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I have one! A workhorse for the last 10 years

rickwebb and geof_ like this.
  16. I’ve sold 2 for $700 and one for $800.

It’s essentially a Jazz Bass Special but they were shortly labeled PJ bass when they were first released. I have a very early one that’s labeled PJ bass, has A JV serial number on the neckplate and has no switch and no TBX and that’s all stock. I’m assuming mine is the very first few made. Then they added a switch, I’ve seen these later PJ labeled ones with an A serial number on the neckplate which is 1985 or E on the headstock, where is your serial number ? And what’s the letter prefix ? Regardless It should be a 1985 bass. They really had some changes on this series every year basically the entire time they made them.

17. WhyIsPBassBest

WhyIsPBassBest

Nov 8, 2019
    BC
    Not sure about the specifics of these basses, but I felt compelled to say: NICE COLOUR! Very cool and a bit unusual, which to me = cool as well.
    Congrats on the sweet find! I ❤️ Japanese design and in this case, craftsmanship. :thumbsup:

Have a good time playing!

WIPBB

18. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    The pickups are just fine. The pole pieces are not beveled, as they are on some P-bass pickups, so they look larger.

19. They are great basses, for the right price and as long as everything is good with it yes it would be a good find I'd say.

20. Benthebassist

Benthebassist

Jan 14, 2020
    I made a mistake on the original comment, it’s actually a 1984 bass as the serial reads A002684 on the neck plate

A-Step-Towards likes this.