1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a good find?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benthebassist, Jan 14, 2020.

1. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    It can't be jazz bass special, because it's p/j.

2. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    This may be too early for this Bass but I've recall reading somewhere that John Suhr worked at Fender and developed some pick ups with larger pole pieces that were used in productions models.

3. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    bhendrix likes this.
  4. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Japan rules...my new Yamaha BBP35 crushes, too. Enjoy your Duff bass! :D:bassist:

5. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Not sure if that was a joke or not. As strange as it is, Jazz Bass Special is exactly what these were called. Imagine how confused I was when I was 1st trying to learn the difference between these "fender" P and J models, yet I had plenty of Guns and roses knowledge..

T$

6. YES!!! Congratulations on your awesome new bass. I have two "E"-Series Jazz Bass Specials myself. Definitely workhorses here too. All i can say is enjoy :)

7. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Fender's "rule" (not sure if there have been exceptions) is that the body shape tells you whether it's a Precision or a Jazz, regardless of what pickups are on the thing. Given that, the logical assumption would be that that bass is a Precision, and most Aerodynes (with the offset waist body) are usually Jazz basses.

Yes, it's all arbritrary. And it doesn't really matter, unless you work for Fender, in which case it might be very important for your job stability to know and be consistent.

8. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Those are great basses, the prices are finally catching up to their quality!

9. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    You have a little problems with your hear if you can't hear difference between jazz and precision.

10. Benthebassist

Benthebassist

Jan 14, 2020
    I got this for £440, something told me it was a good investment if I ever sold it

Fresh Eddie and geof_ like this.
  11. Spectre Gunner

Spectre Gunner Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    The short answer is - "Yes".

I bought a new metallic white Jazz Bass Special in "85-86" and it looked and sounded awesome. A year or two later I sold it because it wasn't sounding as good as it did when it was new. I was too naive as a bass player back then to know it just needed new strings and probably a good setup. To this day I regret that I let it go. Hang on to that one and please don't do any mods as that will only decrease it's resale value. Just take care of it and play it. If you want to invest in a bass today at a reasonable price that is likely to increase in value over the years, the Japanese made Jazz Bass Special should be on that list.

12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Cool bass!

13. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    Headstock (1).jpg
    No nilorius, it says it ON THE HEADSTOCK. JAZZ BASS SPECIAL were Precision or Jazz bass is written. Has NOTHING to do with the sound or pickup configurations.

Mike Whitfield likes this.
  14. I have the same bass, but the P version, a PB-551 in the same colour. It's what's referred to as a contemporary/boxer series. Mine is an A series serial number 1985-1986. The pickups, neck and light weight are all winners in my book. I got lucky finding mine, they are getting more rare and command 600-1000 here now in Canada.
    http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/fenderjapan/boxer/en_03.html

15. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I finally found one around $500, but.....
    Fender Japan PRECISION Bass Bass Guitar Ref No 1468

Marketing 101: Selling a bass? Maybe a good idea to make it look like it'll play! :rolleyes: What's up with D string???

Only "good" condition and seller is in Japan..... I'll pony up more dough and find something else!

Bass V likes this.
  16. Benthebassist

Benthebassist

Jan 14, 2020
    The competition between these 2 is strange. The Japanese one just has something the Mexican doesn’t, and that’s a deluxe p bass full of extra features. I’m genuinely surprised how different they both are

Attached Files:

bhendrix likes this.
  17. You don’t want that one anyways, I had one of those. It’s nothing like the 80s ones I believe those ones were made early 90s at the end of the series , neck is all natural with tiny tuners, body has no switch and the jack top mounts. Mine was extremely neck heavy because I suspect the body was really junk wood. Stick to ones that have A black back of neck or at least the black headstock.

bhendrix and Bass V like this.
  18. Benthebassist

Benthebassist

Jan 14, 2020
    That thing looks nasty. I wouldn’t jump for one of those, the lack of painted neck and F logo knobs put me off for some reason. It definitely looks like a more basic standard compared to the 80s machines

bhendrix likes this.