1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Jazz Bass genuine?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by n3tcarlos, Feb 2, 2017.

1. n3tcarlos

n3tcarlos

Feb 2, 2017
  2. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Not a bad price, looks genuine.

3. Yes, it's a domestic JB62 (small axle tuners). Totally legit, and very nice/decent instrument.

Glazenn likes this.
  4. n3tcarlos

n3tcarlos

Feb 2, 2017
    Thanks guys...

I was mistaken by that "Made in Japan" because I've thought that only pre 90's basses have it and nowadays they use "Crafted in Japan"...

I've now found that they have returned to Made in Japan and JD means Japan Deluxe with first numbers for the year... So this should be 2016 made..

I'm still looking more for real vintage pieces, because I have one Jazz bass MIJ 1984 circa and it sound simply great. I'm looking for secondary bass as a backup. (Would like to try to get very same jazz bass, same neck, so that I don't need to get used to another bass body :))..

Do you think I'd be satisfied also with 2016 or is it inferior compared to 80's JB...? I'd like to spend 1000 usd max..

5. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    My Fender CIJ JB RI '62 A R.jpg

My first bass (above) was a 1994 CIJ JB62. Great bass, especially with US pickups (original or replacement).
    The neck is excellent, very slim and fast, close in shape to the AVRI '62 JB.
    The brass shield strip to the bridge is the given. Much thinner than on an AVRI '62 Jazz, and slanted.
    Absolutely legit. Note: saddle hex grub screws have a metric thread (I know, Fender US screws will not fit).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  6. n3tcarlos

n3tcarlos

Feb 2, 2017
    Can anybody compare quality of MIJ basses from 80's to 90's and today's basses?

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Yeah, that's a 2016 model.

As for their quality…from what I've seen, read and experienced personally, I'd say Fender-Japan has been incredibly consistent throughout the decades. Unless it's been abused by people or the ravages of it's environment, odds are most MIJ/CIJ Fenders are going to be excellent. :thumbsup:

UNICORN BASS and n3tcarlos like this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021