1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KingRazor, Jan 27, 2012.

1. I can't even fit a credit card between the bottom of the E string and the top of the first fret, but in some spots up above the 12th fret I can almost fit two quarters between the string and the frets.

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Clamp the first fret with a clamp or a strong capo, then do the same on the fifteenth fret, then observe the ninth fret. If that gap's as thin as a credit card, you should be fine.

3. When I do that, the string is laying on the 9th fret, no space in between.

4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    You sir need to loosen your truss rod at least a 1/4-1/2 turn. Then go about lowering the saddles.

5. Yeah I figured it could probably use more relief. Need to hit the hardware store and find an allen key that'll fit this bass. None of mine fit, so I'm guessing maybe it's metric? The bass is an SX Ursa P bass.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Just out of curiousity - is this the same SX bass you've praised so highly in the past, or a different one???

- georgestrings

7. Same one. Plays just fine. But if I can make it play better, why not?

I don't think I could have gotten a better bass for under $200.

8. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
  9. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    Almost certainly metric. Allen makes a convenient metric set that should cover you. For me it's 1.5mm for saddle adjustments, 2mm for the knobs, and 4mm for truss rod. I also use the 2mm to measure my action :)

Edit:

Sorry, should have mentioned that's on an Ibanez not an SX. But I imagine it's somewhat standardized.

10. Heh, neat trick.

I'm going to the hardware store today and I'll see if I can get a metric allen set. Combined with my current set I should be able to handle anything.

11. okay, I'm not sure what the deal is but I can NOT find the right size key. 5mm is so thick it doesn't fit, 4mm is too small to actually turn the rod. None of other keys I have seem to fit right. What's the deal?

12. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Did you try a 3/16?
    That size would be in between 5 and 4mm

13. Ah now I see what was the problem, had to move the A and D strings to the side. Was trying to do it with them still fairly taught.

14. Alright, loosened the rod about 1/4 turn. We'll see how it's like tomorrow.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I ask because in the past you've compared that bass to alot of fairly expensive basses, and claimed that it played much better - however, the info in this thread would seem to contradict those previous claims... The above appears to be a bit of backpeddling, to be honest...

To even more candid - I've played quite a few SX basses, and even owned a couple - and I had my doubts regarding the claims you've made in the past regarding yours...

- georgestrings

16. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and choose not to jump to the conclusion that you're trolling.

The bass still plays quite well. It still plays better than quite a few basses that I've played in stores that cost much more. I don't take back any of the claims I've made about how this bass plays compared to others. The issues it has are no worse than those I had with my first Ibanez bass, an SR405, which cost 4 times what this bass cost. Lots of brands have lemons and diamonds. I played an MIM Fender Jazz that out played every other Jazz I'd ever played (including several MIA basses).

My SX doesn't even come close to an Ibanez SR505, that's for sure. But I'm still more than happy with my purchase.

17. There is already a noticeable improvement in playability, which tells me this was a step in the right direction. Before I do any further adjustments I need to get some feeler gauges or something. None of my rulers measure smaller than 1mm.

18. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Ha, just because you need a trussrod adjustment doesn't justify a response like that one fella gave you. Play on and ignore the nastiness King. Any piece of wood cam be made to play like a champ.

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I'm not trolling at all - just observing a couple of things:

You don't really know what a good setup is...

You're finally starting to get the significance of having a good setup when checking out any bass that's new to you...

Your last couple of sentences are pretty telling, actually - you basically have said that your SX is a better bass than some pretty decent basses you named, yet say that it doesn't even come close to an sr505??? Granted, an sr505 is a pretty good bass - I've owned 3 of them, FWIW - but they're nothing spectacular, and certainly not a better bass than an EBMM, nor an American Fender - both of which you compared your SX to, IIRC...

- georgestrings