1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Peavey Cirrus a U.S. Model?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M Sharp, Jun 28, 2014.

1. M Sharp

M Sharp

May 24, 2013
    NJ
    image.
    Ordered this over the phone from seeing it on GC's website. Called, but didn't get too much info. Does this look like a U.S model? Nothing posted on TB or Peavey.com looks like this. Ordered it to try for $700 since I have 30 days to return.

Going by pic only, could this be a good deal?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Yes that's a U.S.

$700 is a good deal for one of those.

M Sharp likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

M Sharp likes this.
  4. M Sharp

M Sharp

May 24, 2013
    NJ
    Thanks.
    'Bassed' on my research I wanted to try a Cirrus. I know they are out of production and I like maple fretboards.
    I wasn't even bass shopping, just surfing the web and thought I shouldn't pass up this opportunity.

I asked if the neck was thin and I was caught off guard when the GC guy said it was a bit chunky. He also said by the serial number it may be a 2009 model. Are both statements possible? I don't know how long Cirrus has been put of production.

I got the vibe from the rest of the conversation the guy was a bit flakey, so I just ordered it to try for myself.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The five is chunky compared to the four, but Cirruses are capable of being fine tuned better than any bass I know of during a set up, so it can be made to feel very comfortable.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    One of my bassist friends has that same exact configuration of a Cirrus in a 6-string model. He loves his. I have had a bubinga/walnut Cirrus 5 and did not find the neck to be chunky at all compared to a Spector or a Warwick. Maybe a little thicker than an EBMM 5-string, but a fairly sleek and comfortable profile IMO. I would snag it if you like it, as you would have little trouble getting your $700 back if it doesn't work out for you.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The neck is chunky by Peavey standards since Peavey necks are generally very slender.

8. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I had a 4 and found the neck to be rather slender. I wish I still had it but the 35"scale didn't agree with me. It definitely was the nicest playing bass I've ever owned and had a more raw wood feeling (though smooth) neck which I loved.

9. $700 that's a steal. Over here in the UK they're normally $1200.

You enjoy that bass now.

M Sharp likes this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I will say that the 35" scale more noticeable on fours than fives or me. That said, I think the extra inch comes in handy for anyone who wants to detune their four.

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I still get tempted to buy another one.

12. M Sharp

M Sharp

May 24, 2013
    NJ
    This arrived today on my way out the door. Played it for 1 minute. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
    This is a keeper. Bonus: It arrived with a hard shell case.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A Cirrus is probably the best deal in basses anyone can buy. The fit and finish are boutique quality, and I have never seen a bass that can achieve a more fine tuned set up than a Cirrus. They also sound marvelous!

The fact they often turn up at well under $1K is incredible.

14. Killer deal. I just reoiled the necks on my Cirrus 4s and spent a little time on them. After all these years and custom basses, the Cirrus really holds its own.

15. M Sharp

M Sharp

May 24, 2013
    NJ
    Speaking of oiling your necks, any special care for the Cirrus? I am not familiar with oiling necks.
    Would like to clean the fretboard a bit too. Advice there?
    The GC guy thought this bass is 2009. the serial # ends with 89. Is that the year?
    If so, very impressed with previous care.

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Some lemon oil two times a year should be all you need to do to take care of it.