1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this you?

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by sir juice, Sep 9, 2008.

1. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
  2. It must be!

3. botley

botley

Aug 14, 2008
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, isn't that former NIN drummer/engineer Chris Vrenna behind the trap set?

4. My goodness, I thought the guitar player was Buckethead!

5. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Vrenna and I, yes. That was the first Gnarls Barkley gig ever, and I put that band together as the MD. Fun times. Worst mix I've ever heard, tho. :)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not so great mix but an awesome rendition nonetheless. Quite a bit bigger than the original, but still had that stripped down urgent feel. That band looks like it was a lot of fun.

7. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    co-founder, SynapticGroove
    Is Vrenna still doing Tweaker? His stuff in the Alice McGee game was pretty cool. I remember a track he did with Shudder To Think...

8. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    I think he's still doing tweaker, but he's also busy with Marilyn Manson doing programming and keyboards.

JMJ

9. camila

camila

Sep 11, 2008
    Brazil
    Great song!

Hey Justin,
    how do you go around meeting so many great musicians, even assembling bands for them?

10. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Just doing session after session after gig after gig, touring like crazy, doing A&R, being out on the town, the "rolodex" gets large. Mine is enormous, and I like putting cool people in touch with other cool people. Not hard to do when you're busy in a town like LA.

11. camila

camila

Sep 11, 2008
    Brazil

“… and I like putting cool people in touch with other cool people.”

This is great because I like to see cool people playing with cool people!!

I like Beck and I’m a big NIN fan, for example. I saw some videos where you play with NIN on the current tour and you're amazing playing with the band!
    Trent did a good choice!

12. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Thank you, Camila. I'm always very very glad to hear that!

Best,
    JMJ

13. camila

camila

Sep 11, 2008
    Brazil
    But you deserve!

And Justin, still about cool people:
    I've heard you like Mutantes too, and I like this band very much (but, I have to admit that I liked more when Rita Lee was in the band. I love Rita Lee!), so I'd like to know if you know other brazilian bands or musicians.
    (yes, I'm brazilian)

14. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    I am a big Rita Lee fan as well, of course.

I love Quarteto Em Cy very much, as well as of course Caetano.

I also have an affinity for some of the great Brazilian post-punk, like Chance, Atk, Agentss, Ira!, Akira S, De Policia, stuff like that.

Best,
    JMJ

15. Can't say I know all of those bands. I feel like I just got owned.

16. camila

camila

Sep 11, 2008
    Brazil
    Quarteto Em Cy is very good and Caetano Veloso too (he's one of the best musicians of Brazil). I also like Ira, but lately the band had problems with the vocalist and they split up.

Nowadays, I listen few brazilian musicians. I like to listen to regionalist brazilian music like Alceu Valença, Zeca Baleiro, Zé Ramalho, Lenine, and others. They are excelent song writers. If you can listen to these artists, do it!