Is Victor Bailey in ill health?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Funkee1, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    I heard something about him recently, and the person said he didn't look so good. Anyone know what he was talking about?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My friend in San Diego told me the same thing. He said that he looked very frail.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes it is true Victor Bailey is very ill. I heard this a few weeks ago. I recently spent some time with Tom Barney and asked him about Victor, He told me Victor has been ill for awhile but still want's to play. I believe he suffers from MS. Victor is in my prayers.
  4. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    I saw Victor twice last year, and got to meet him after the second gig. If you get a chance to see his solo gig, just go. Absolutely amazing. One of the grooviest players around. Utterly supportive. But when he lets loose.......... Has anyone else here heard his two handed tapping version of Birdland? A really nice guy as well. My thoughts are with him.
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That really sucks. He's got one of the best fingestyle jazz tones ever.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I was really hoping it was just a rumor.....this really does blow!
    Victor is definitly one of the cats!
  9. what is MS.?????
  10. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is terrible news. I too, pray for Victor Bailey and I hope that he has the resources to get first rate health care. I know we cannot live forever, but I really do pray that Victor Bailey can continue to get joy from his music and bring joy to bass lovers like me.
  12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'll pray for Victor too. This is the first I've heard about this, I love his playing. This is very sad news.

13. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    poor guy, and he just got his bass back.

how sad, i hope he pulls through

14. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I spoke to one of my bass playing buddies today who just happens to work at Sam Ash, he saw Victor Bailey in concert this month in Oceanside L.I. N.Y. He told me he helped move Victors rig and spoke with him at length. He told me victor has moved from LA to Brooklyn and is indeed sick, although his playing is not affected he does walk with a cane. I was supposed to attend that concert but was busy with something else.
  15. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003

That really stinks.

The only stuff I've heard him play on was on a BET jazz show with Urban Knights.

I was very impressed with his tasteful playing, specially on "The Rose" from the first album, he had a solo intro on the BET thing and loved the grooving slap on "Friendship", also from the first album.

Seems like a very nice guy and it's bummer he is suffering with that.

My heart goes out to him and family. Can't be easy.