1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Isn't From a Bass Gig, But...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MattSasquatch, Nov 15, 2018.

1. MattSasquatch

MattSasquatch

Nov 12, 2018
    Ohio
    A couple years back I was asked to play drums (pre-bass days for me) for a conference at my university in the summer for a high school camp. The room we we're in, the back wall has a big sound isolation panel (probably 30 foot wide and 10 foot high) that is being held up by 2 pieces of fishing line.

The drum kit was set-up maybe 2 feet from the back wall in a shield (no back to it). Half way through the set, I turn to look at the bassist to groove (oh bassists, now I'm one of them) and I can see the wall start to fall. I caught the massive thing with my head and continued to play the song, without dropping the beat. The crowd is in shock as to what happened. Then the guitarist turns to groove with me, and his face turns to sheer terror at the sight.

Eventually, two audience members hop up on stage to get the wall back up. This is when the worship leader of the set learns that something went wrong. He turns mid verse to see the commotion and he gets a deer in headlights face.

It was hilarious, and even more hilarious I was able to keep the drumming going while a wall falls on me, and holding it up while playing. Didn't drop a single beat.

2. One time the high hat started to come apart on the drummer I was playing with. I kept tapping out notes with my left hand and used my right hand to help him put it back together. He kept the kick and some snare going. Took a few but we had it working before the song was done. The worship leader said he couldn't tell anything happened. I figured that meant the drummer and I were either really good or really bad.:laugh::D

3. MattSasquatch

MattSasquatch

Nov 12, 2018
    Ohio
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

4. Is there a video somewhere?

MattSasquatch likes this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I spent an entire four sets in a legs spread rock god pose but not because i was a rock god. The kick was walking away because the club owner wouldn’t allow our drummer to use his kick stop device, a section of 2x4 with a couple of big two headed nails in it, so i had to keep my left foot in front of the kick drum and my right foot off out of the way as the stage was too small for me to get any closer with my right foot.

Mr_Moo and MattSasquatch like this.
  6. MattSasquatch

MattSasquatch

Nov 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Unfortunately, no...

That had to be an absolute nightmare.

fhm555 likes this.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    It’s only rock and roll, but i like it. :D
    After that i showed our drummer how to tie his kick to the legs of his stool with bailing wire to keep it from walking away on him.

8. MattSasquatch

MattSasquatch

Nov 12, 2018
    Ohio
    My college band instructor/friend/percussionist would use bungee cords. H'd put them on the tension screws on the front head and wrap it around the base of the throne. Kept the kick solid.

Mr_Moo and fhm555 like this.
  9. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & RVA
    Imagine doing a movie where you're the star drummer for the biggest band in the country.
    Your cymbal stand falls over in the middle of the scene - and that stays in the finished film.
    Happened to Buddy Rich with Tommy Dorsey, note his bass drum mounted cymbal is there at the beginning of th sax solo at 1:20; by the end of the sax solo through the end of the number the cymbal is flopped over to the side.

10. MattSasquatch

MattSasquatch

Nov 12, 2018
    Ohio
    I never noticed that actually.

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

funn(ny) stuff.

but, yeah....drummers! :laugh: