It's so cold up here......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Feb 22, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    that a waterall froze. I can't hardly believe it.

Multnomah Falls down by Portland is partially frozen from the icy cold weater we have been having. I have never seen a frozen waterfall, so I am leaving work early today to go check it out with my wife and son.

2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wow, that's cold!

Earlier this week the wind chill was 30 below in Milwaukee, with an actual temp. of 10 below.
  3. How big of a falls was it? I bet it had some cool photographic qualities to it, with the sun just right... :)

Yeah last week the whole WI/MN area was pretty cold, I think St. Paul was like -15F (-26C) actual temp then add wind, brr. Even colder further north. I have a friend from North Pole, AK, she's grilled outside at something like -50F!!
  4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow Mike that is cold...

... gosh, all I have is a sweatshirt and T on, not too cold in ATL. :D
  5. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    :D Are you kiddin me?! Come to dayoopee of Michigan. The waterfalls freeze there in July I think!
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    620' tall them there falls are. There is video for it on the site. You have to log in to watch it though.

7. Cool, I love it when the falls around here freeze, I'll have to check it out.
  8. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I played a gig this last Saturday night up here in the frozen northwoods of Wisconsin.

45 below zero with windchill...20 below without it. Oh yeah, hauling gear out to the trailer after the gig at 3:00AM was real fun.

My car was so frozen that it almost didn't start and the driver's seat was hard as a board and didn't thaw out until I was almost home!
  9. Frozen waterfalls are great for ice climbing.
  10. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... it's 76 degrees here in San Antonio ... :D
  11. You mean your waterfalls actually thaw out??? Must be nice.
  12. It's 60 here in Chicago:D
  13. if it was me ide move to the carolinas. oop, wait im already here and warm. nice and toasty warm. i practiced outside today with my lil amp. just thought yad like to know.
  14. I've seen a frozen waterfall before. It's freakin cool!! I went on this nature retreat thing with my school in 6th grade. We took a hike down through the middle of this huge ravine, and there was a waterfall on the side of it, frozen solid. It looks awesome, and we got a picture of like 5 kids holding a gigantic icesicle, it was like 10 feet long.
  15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    although i hate his avatar, i agree with brad. pics is a must.
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

I just got home from checking out the falls. It was a lot of driving today, but it was way worth it. It was like giant icicles. You could hear the water raging under the giant frozen tube of water. I don't think it was as frozen as it was initially though.

I did not take any pics, wasn't thinking about it.

18. Here's a shot from ice climbing last year.