Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've been Bass Centralized

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jordacr, May 10, 2004.

1. All I have to say is that these guys are awesome. I got a great deal on a brand new Lakland Skyline Jerry Scheff 5. Straight from Lakland to me for $300 less than the lowest price out there.

I do not know how they were able to offer me that price but you will not hear any complaints from me. It came today and it is incredible. Construction is flawless, weight and balance are perfect, setup is exactly the way I like it, and the range of tones is endless. I wish I had a good camera to show it off, but these are the best I can do.

Grasshopper and everyone else at Bass Central.....I can't thank you guys enough.

Craig

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Nice bass! What sort of tone do those lipstick pickups produce? The large amount of space between the two pickups looks great for playability too... :)

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    How about some sound clips? Pleeeease? :D

4. Yeah, I'm really curious about the sound of that bass, too. I've only played one bass with lipstick pups, and that was a dano longhorn.

5. Kool! Such a deal!

I've looked at so many pictures of Laklands for so long that the oval bridge looks normal and right, and when I see a square bridge on a Leo Fender-designed or inspired instrument, it looks odd.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    A beautiful Jerry Scheff model!

I'm actually going to get Bass Centralized in a couple of weeks by the Gard-meister! I can't wait.

Many of us TBers are not familiar with the tone of the lipstick pickups. How do they compare to say stock Fender Jazz single coils, bartolinis, or EMGs, etc.?

7. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Nice looking bass. I came kind of close to ordering one last week. Please give us a review

8. I'll probably be able to give you guys a good review in a couple of days. I'll be playing out with it tomorrow night and Thursday night. Here are a couple of things though. Having never played a danelectro, I cannot really compare the sound. The pickups are single coil like a jazz bass, so there is a slight hum when they are not at equal volumes. The bridge pickup is very punchy and the neck pickup seems to be very much like a jazz neck pickup. Basically, my first impression is that it is very much like a jazz bass but a littledifferent and unique. This bass has the same Bartolini preamp as the U.S. Laklands and the 55-02 and 44-02 (obviously minus the coil split switch). With this preamp, I think you could just about dial in any tone you could think of regardless of what pickups were in the bass. I'll try to post a decent review after this weekend.

Craig

9. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

Me too :D

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Wouldn't it be a cool world if all the Guitar Centers were "Bass Centrals" with a staff like Grasshopper and Gard who really give a crap about their customers ????

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

...customers???

CUSTOMERS!?!?!?!

...you mean the people who call and interrupt my nap?

GAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

...ok...I'm all better now...

;)

Glad we could help out, jordacr! :D

12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Yea, Bass Central is a great place. I'm there everyday drooling over all the pretty basses. I think I'm going to end up getting my next Lakland from Gard.

13. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Bass Central sucks!because they are waaaaaaay on the other side of the country from me ;) We are lucky to have BassNW here on the left coast. Even with the distance I picked up a Lakland from Beaver et al about a year ago. Nice folks. :D

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Bass Central Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

15. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    ...came from Bass Central.

Next time I buy a bass? No brainer.

16. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Here's another plug for the boys at Bass Central. I'm here in Seattle and they hooked me up with a Stingray 5 fretless a couple of years back. Very smooth transaction and a great bass.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

17. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Bass Central is great. I bought a bass from them a couple months ago and when I get ready to buy another one I'm going straight to them.

18. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I....*snif* LOVE.... Bass Central. Gard is a saint, a straight shooter, and a damn fine judge of restaurants I found on a recent trip to FL.

Everybody at BC gets all giggley when they hear me on the other end of the line. Apparently I'm their #2 customer in sheer dollars and number of basses thus far in 2004. It sucks when you can't stare and compare great basses at the local stores, so I've had to buy, sell and buy some more in the quest for the perfect arsenal. Dale Titus at Warwick thinks I'm nuts for sure, with the 4 Buzzards, 2 Thumbs (and maybe a third) and a couple others I've been thru this year, courtesy Gard and BC.

The rest of BC's staff has to be glad they're not paid by commission, cuz Gard has all of us buying from him - and we're all GASsy folks!

19. DjangoPastorius

DjangoPastorius

Nov 24, 2003
    I didn't even know Bass Central existed until a few days ago when I went looking for a Zon. I was really impressed how good a selection they had and the knowledgeable no-bull attitude. Made several phone calls (after all, this is a ZON). I talked to Gard the first time this morning and was really blown away how knowledgeable he was, and giving with his time.

The ZON will be here tommorow according to UPS tracking.

Thanks to Beaver, Doug and Gard!! You guys are great.

20. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    They are great guys. Gave me terrific deals and excellent customer service on both items I've bought from them. Lakland 44-02 Deluxe and an Eden 210XLT cab.

Big thumbs up to these guys, great to deal with.