I've created a monster

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Nov 25, 2004.

1. So last night my sister (11 years old) asks to play bass. Good lord, she can't put the thing down. I've been listening to the basslines for "smoke on the water" and "crash into me" for at least 12 hours straight. She's taken over my Corvette and little fender practice amp. I don't figure I'll be seeing those any time soon. Now all she tells me she wants from my broke college kid fund is a bass for christmas.

2. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    She's been playing for less than a day, give the kid a break! No one's Paul McCartney when they pick up the bass (not your sister, not me, not you), she just needs some time to learn. I'm sure once she gains some level of competence, you could probabally teach her some basslines that are a bit less repetitive.

Remember, when you first picked up your first instrument, your family probabally thought the same thing about you playing simple songs over and over again. Everyone plays repetitive boring songs when they're just starting out on an instrument.
  3. That's not so much my gripe, in fact i'm ecstatic she's playing. I'm more concerned about seeing my warwick again.
  4. Nah, that's day 2. :smug: :D

But seriously, get her a really cheap used bass. Wait for after christmas and score on something good for an instrument that might be worth something.
  5. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    Ahh, well I hear ya there...

I'd go for the "buying her a cheap bass as soon as possible" option as well. Or perhaps telling your parents to buy her one, saying you won't be able to eat if you buy her a bass.
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Don't go too cheap; she may not stay interested, if the axe is to crappy. Get her a Brice.
  7. zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    was Paul good on bass playing right away??
  8. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    Well, that's a tricky question, it depends which Paul you're talking about. Do you mean Paul from "Help!", or Paul that replaced that one after he died?
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Paul Mccartney wasnt good right away. For a while he blew and just made up basslines as he went along.

10. ... you should be honored! she looks up to you, now not only as a bigger brother, but as a musician.
  11. For some odd reason this thread made me think of this:

"SSSShuut up Turd, I cant hear my Britney SSSPears records!"