1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ive debunked the HOG tracking myth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by moogboy, Jun 15, 2007.

1. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    the HOG tracks pretty good. i almost bought it, but temptation was resisted.

2. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I was just looking at them on ebay myself. If I thought I'd get much real use out of it I'd be able to justify the cost. Looks like it'd be tons of fun to play with though.

3. hansfranz

hansfranz

Jul 22, 2005
    Rocklin, CA
    thanks for the review :rolleyes:

Any further comments, or just "it tracks pretty good"?

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

what else can you tell us about it?

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    And is 'pretty good' equally as good as the POG, Ampeg, Octron, dbx 120, etc... or what?

6. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    i tested it with a Spector 5-banger, i went straight to a Fender Practice amp.

all of the sounds that i found were VERY useful. here are some examples:

i was able to get the "Wish You Were Here" acoustic guitar sound with the +1 and +2 Octaves.

with the Octaves, it was quite close to the sound as if i were playing the Octave.

all of the octaves tracked awesomely, better than my OC-3 on Polyphonic mode.

the Expression swith was lots of fun. i found all of the modes very fun, and nothing was TOO weird. the filter and Envelope didnt get all that much playtime, so i wont try guessing on them.

all in all, a very good pedal. would i buy it if i had the money? a resounding YES! i give it 4 out of 5 stars based on what i got to do with it. only 4 because the 'Freeze' wasnt what i hoped it to be.

7. could you elaborate on the freeze function?

8. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    i was expecting something that would hold the note i played, and then i could play over that held tone. the Freeze function just held the note and kinda sat there. i see where it could be useful, but it wouldnt be useful for me.

9. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
  10. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    i used the Spector 5-string that was hanging next on a stand on one of those huge BOSS displays.

i had to leave really quick because my Coonhound was in the car, and she suffers from seperation anxiety.

11. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    When I was searching for info on the POG/HOG, I always took comments about the HOG's tracking with a grain of salt. That is, what I noticed in TB was just one guy who said he tried them both and said the HOG tracked horribly, repeated that in a couple of threads, and on the other threads there were just people saying "the HOG is said to not track well" etc. I would definitely try one out myself if it was in my price range.

12. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Moog, where are you from?

Judging by your grammar, use of the word coonhound, and being name Bubba, I'm guessing you're from somewhere in the south. And no more riddle crap. Just an answer.

13. so your saying that when your note or chord is being held you cannot play over top of it? the signal from your guitar/bass just cuts out?

14. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Its sounds like you can with your unaffected signal. He was doing just that in the video.

15. ok, thats what i thought it was.... and thats exactly what i want.

16. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    that video was frikkin' cool.

i want one!

17. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    i used to live about an hour south from Traverse City Michigan. i now live near Motown. in the area where i used to live, the dogs were all used for hunting....our dog's breed is "Black And Tan Coonhound." no kidding. and so we are trying to domesticate her and her son Ozzie.

the story of my name is that when i was born, my dad wanted to name me Popeye. yes you read that right, Popeye. my mom wouldnt let him. and so now i have been called Bubba ever since.

is that weird?

18. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Exactomundo.

19. really, because in a video i watched of it some guy was able to play over the frozen chord

did you have the dry output all the way down?

20. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    i dont remember.....as i said, didnt mess with it very much, as Maggie was having troubles....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021