1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i've found it

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by joebingo, Jul 30, 2007.

1. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    something that explains the mentality of guitarists!!!!!

2. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    ?? Ok what's with it?

3. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I don't have any problem with this. I have a few bands going, one of which is with a guitarist who could play most of this with his teeth - no lie. Guess what - I love it. Amazing talent is great, and showing it off is just part of having it.

I'm certainly not saying "thiz guy is great!!!!!" but I am disagreeing with the OP if he's trying to say that this kid is just showing off, and that it's a bad thing.

4. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    no, what i mean is that they guy obviously has talent, it's just incredibly tasteless. (i do come from quite a classical background though) but the pachelbel canon shouldnt be '80's metal fretwanking.

5. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    This? this has been floating around a while. I think what the kid (from Korea) does is amazing!! How is it "tasteless"?

6. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    That's just a matter of preference. I think everything has its place. For example, Trans-Siberian Orchestra is incredible, IMHO. You may not agree.

I definitely enjoy unadulterated classics, but I also love it when artists put their own flair on another song.

7. That's not JerryC, it's another guy who plays the same song. The video by JerryC has got some better licks on it, IMO.

8. maybe this is what he doesnt like about it:D

9. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    At least we know this kid's fretboard will never be stolen, as he rarely takes his eyes off it.

It's almost too easy to take a brilliant classical masterpiece, and turn it into wankery. Let me see him play it note for note, with great feel and attention to detail...then I will be somewhat impressed.

poor Pach, this song get abused way too much.

I love the vid posted above me....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. The guitar player in my band at college does this all the time. Plays it way too fast with zero feel. And just because he can do it, he thinks he is the greatest gui**** ever... Very, very irritating.

To be fair, fair enough for being able to do it, but it doesn't sound good or musical...

11. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Pachabel's Cannon in D is hardly brilliant. Compared to other Baroque compositions of his day (see: Bach's Art of Fugue), it's quite trite. I'm not really sure why it has become so popular.

12. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    To be fair, isn't that how Paganini got so famous? Basically by wanking in such a manner? I mean granted, he was amazingly technically skilled and a virtuoso and etc etc etc... but he played things like this all over Europe and gained fame for it. I think things like this kid on guitar will always have a place, just not with most of us. It doesn't say anything about everyone, I think.

13. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    Oh, and a HUGE +1 to this. I doubt there's many people that can keep up with Bach's fugues.

14. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    +1. You want nuts go bach's double concerto in D minor. I've got to accompany a set of twins who are doing the two lead violin parts, and I've got to play a piano reduction. counterpoint and 16th note runs all over the place, and it sounds awsome. Pach's canon is boring at times...especially the cello line.

EDIT: in the piano reduction, 16th note runs in both hands simultaneously. at 100 BPM as the indicated tempo, it requires some of the fingerings to be written out.

15. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Me too, and I also enjoy aldulterated classics just as much!

16. if you dont like what 80s shred did to canon, check out this vid.

17. By saying Canon's not brilliant, you're proving that you have the same mind than the ones who shred the s**t out of classics.

It's not that it has 132th notes on all the song and all that stuff...
    It's simply the beauty of the composition, the stream of sensations and happiness and feelings and... life, which this songs pour to the ears of everyone who listens to it...

People isn't dumb, Canon wouldn't be a timeless classic and one of the most famous pieces of music of history without being an absolute piece of art.
    And art is not what the artist exteriorizes, is what the viewer/listener interiorizes.

18. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    People isn't dumb, you say?

I'm normally not a stickler for grammar, but that's just silly!

19. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    IMHO this kid is very skilled and he was merely posting a response. The reason he has his head down is to hide his face. If you look him up, he's very famous in Korea and has other vids on youtube doing similar songs. I say rock on! :bassist:

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Hilariously musically nerdy.