1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I've got $600

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by wallawallabob, Jan 26, 2012.

1. 1) I've got an inexpensive CB with a K&K bass max/pre-amp (sounds really good thru our Bose at church, not so much from a 50 watt Peavey MicroBass I borrowed).

2) Amplified, I play mostly blues, but occasionally need to amplify for bluegrass.

Like everybody else I want nice warm, full sound with enough oomph to do more than a coffee shop, but I want to be able to carry it with one hand.

What is the best amp for this amount of money?

(I read a lot of the stickies - some are over 10 years old - it is time for me to get this done!)

2. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    With that budget, buying new in Australia, I'd be looking at a Gallien-Krueger MB-112 ($520 at the Bass Centre). Check out the threads on this amp here on TB; it appears to be a more than serviceable DB amplifier.

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Since you asked about an amp I would probably recommend the MB112 as well.
    Although I have not tried one I have an MB200 head which is a warm sounding amp.
    Reviews of the combo indicate that it might work well for you.

That said, don't expect too much from the amp. It AMPLIFIES the signal it gets.

4. Don't know what the market is like in Walla Walla, but in our area $600 dollars would buy a nice used GK, Ampeg, SWR, or Hartke combo amp. Some of these same brands show up in our local stores new in the $600 range. The only combo I ever owned that I couldn't carry with one hand was my SWR Silverado Special, so that should not be a problem.

5. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Well, that's a bit of reverse geographism for you -- I did not know there was a Walla Walla in Washington, USA! I thought the WA was for Western Australia, until I remembered Walla Walla is in New South Wales. :oops:

I'd still suggest the GK MB-112, though ...

6. The one in Washington is a pretty small town...... Not much selection of amps here, new or otherwise..... But I think I'll plug into a GK MB-112.....

7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I was actually going to suggest the GK too. Owned one for years, very good amps. Not the lightest available in this class, but that makes them more of a bargain, especially used. Keep an eye on the used inventory at BassNW in Seattle. They'd ship to you and are good honest people. I'd be happy to check something out for you, it's a few neighborhoods away for me, just PM me.

I'd also keep an eye out for used MarkBass or Genz Benz products.

If you're willing to use both hands, there are more and cheaper options, but...I get smaller is better.

8. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
  9. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings and Phil Jones Bass Amplification
    Take a look at the Hartke Kickback series. A lot of the NY cats have been gravitating towards those lately (David Wong and Boris Kozlov, among others). Should be well within your budget.

10. Doug R

Doug R

Jan 27, 2011
    Spokane, WA USA
    I recently upgraded to a smaller, lighter and better bass amp - but it came-in at $650. I'm very happy though, and it's super easy to transport, very light to carry, and sonds great with both URB and my P-bass.
    - Gallien Krueger 210 N (neo) speaker box (30 lbs. $299.)
    - Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 amp (3 lbs. 300 watts $349.00)
    I highly recommend.
    The Shuttle retails for more than that, but deals can be found. Mine was an in-store demo unit, discounted, still new & full warranty included.

11. My one and only amp is an Ampeg B100-R. Close to 50 pounds so a one-handed carry is no cinch, but it sounds great and can be had for about half your budget.

12. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-8t or 10t. Wicked light, very good sounding and powerful!

13. Found: Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 10T for $525, 6 months old. Plenty loud for the venues I'll be in, expandable for when it isn't, and really good sound!