I've seen the Bongo light!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian Perge, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    ...and not for lack of trying, mind you. No store in the greater Lexington area carries EBMM, and every time I've been up to the in-laws in Cincinnati the Guitar Center there has never had any in stock.

Until today, that is. There was a Sapphire Black H/H four-string, and a Carbon Blue Pearl H/SC fiver. I played the 4 just to get a feel of it, but easily 80% of my time was with the five-string (with the rest of the time going towards a Spector ReBop DLX, a great bass in its own right) and all I can say is... well, not much, but the drooling should indicate how I stood.

I'd always very much been a supporter of the Bongo for the simple facts that I admire a company willing to take a chance with a bold, modern design, especially one of the larger ones in the industry... as well as honestly liking it. No "Bongo Martyr" here, I very much liked the shape, and in addition all of the features (various pickups and the 4-band electronics, Earvana nut, etc.) were quite intriguing to me.

Well, color me completely converted. The neck was like butter in my hands, and as a player who actually prefers tighter string spacing it was amazingly easy to play even when you consider the notorious "Guitar Center setup". :smug: There have been very few basses I've played since starting that have immediately had me thinking "I'm physically a better player on this", and the Bongo has made that short list. Add to that the simply stunning amount of tones available from the electronics and the ergonomics and comfortable playing positioning with a strap, and yet another bass has been added to the GAS list

I'm not sure if anything can top the Mike Lull Modern 5 in "Fire" Finish as the "dream bass", but I'd certainly never turn down a Bongo for "the toolkit" for the right price. :help:
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Get the Bongo. It's a great bass and a heck of a lot cheaper than a Lull 5.
  3. If you don't mind swinging down I-64, Guitar Emporium in Louisville has a few Bongos in from time to time. They seem to sell pretty quickly. Their web address is www.guitar-emporium.com if you want to check out their current inventory. The local Music-Go-Round had a green HS Bongo for a few weeks, but I believe it has been sold.
  4. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    got mine a month ago. LOVE it. LOVE IT!!! I have no regrets. Best guitar I've owned so far. I'm afraid that my JP5 and my Traben haven't seen the light of day since.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Is Guitar Emporium the same people who used to run a bass store in the back of their shop? I bought a Ken Smith 6 from them back in 1995.
  6. Guitar Emporium does indeed keep their basses WAAYY back in the back of the shop. Their specialty is vintage instruments, primarly of the six string Fender species. They are located on Bardstown Road in the Highlands area of Louisville if that tells you anything. It's a neat little shop.
  7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Bongos are truly great basses. MM makes great basses but Im not a fan of the ray or sterling. Just cant get into the tone although I wanted to. Bongos definitely do it for me though.
  8. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    LUV MY BONGO!!! [​IMG]
  9. Whoa, your guitar player looks freakishly familiar.