j-bass upgrading

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KwanzaaLizard, Oct 24, 2005.

1. I've got a sunburst standard MIM jazz bass I bought used, and put the Fender Noiseless pick-ups into. I like the way it sounds but it being all passive, I want to put a preamp in for when I have to plug direct into a PA, most likely a J-retro if I go for it. Right now I've got the pickguard off so someone can customise it. I might just buy a shell pickguard for the vintage look, though. My point is I was wondering if people have ideas or opinions about things I should put money into, or shouldn't have put money into. I'm looking for a mainly rock sound, but I also like jazz and am considering taking up slap and I play primarily fingerstyle right now. Thanks in advance for any input!
  2. lilhelp? X( sorry to be impatient, I just can't find anyone with much knowledge on what to do
  3. for plugging directly into the PA get yourself a decent DI, like a Sadowsky, or a SansAmp BDI...don't put a preamp in your bass for this function (there are other reasons you may wish to consider a preamp but plugging into a PA is not one of them).

As far as the pickguards, that's purely cosmetic and purely your own personal taste, so we'll leave that one completely up to you.

As far as the bass...if you're digging the sound...leave the electronics alone...
  4. thanks, also I was wondering on replacement necks. I've heard good things about Moses graphite... any ideas? The neck I've got on it now is kinda banged up and I've noticed dead spots, most noticably on the 7th fret of the G string