1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

j-bass with flats: any good?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by williamk, May 21, 2012.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I hate flats, I've had them on a p-bass and hated them, have tried them on some danos, liked them a bit more but got tired quickly of them. I recently got a pack of chromes as a gift, and since they're worth 45$ I'm thinking I might as well give them another shot rather than throw them away (I kid I kid, I would never do that...).
    I have a jazz bass and I'm thinking I could out them on the jazz...

Can you recommend me artists/bassists that are known for using j-bass with flats for me to listen to? youtube links? anything to convince me, really!
    thanks!

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Simon & Garfunkel "Bridge over Troubled Water" (bass comes in at 3:08)

bassist: Joe Osborn, J-bass & flats

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Why does it matter who else uses them? You either like them or not. Think for yourself.

4. Just go ahead & buy 'em,already!!! Hell,everyone else has & their brother (AND sister,too!!!) has. As for me? this is my theme song about the whole deal-io.

5. onestring

onestring

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, CA
    My favorite Jazz with flats sound: Paul McCartney, Band on the Run album.

6. IMHO,the use of a plectrum truly makes that tone.

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    If you are a plectrum/pick player, then I would argue that the difference between flats/rounds is even greater than with fingerstyle. :)

8. If you didn't like flats on a p, I see no reason to think you'd like them on a j. But what the heck, right?

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I don't mind flats on a J...as long as I have another J with rounds to play. :D

10. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    Here's my Jazz with flats (Sadowski ones, similar to Chromes I think), live and raw, so should give you a good idea of what the actually sound like as opposed to being studio-processed : http://www.facebook.com/signalxmusic

11. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    I have TI flats on my J, my P, my P/J, my EB2 and my Roscoe Beck v. I have rounds on my other basses. I love the flats.

12. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I put chromes on my Geddy Lee and did not like the sound I got. It was back to RWs after about a 90 day trial. I have chromes on one of my stingrays and love the sound, and chromes on of my Ps and love the sound.

13. I've put TI flats on my Roscoe Beck V..... awesome.

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    How's the low B on the TI flats?

15. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    Works well. TIs are by nature lower tension but on the RBV they work well. Not as tight as some other manufacturers, but I like it.

16. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I have a fretted and fretless Jazz with Chromes. Gives it a nice throaty Jazz sound without being too bright. I don't really like flats on any of my P-basses, for them I prefer nice and new steel strings.

17. Same here.

18. JonKim

JonKim

Nov 15, 2011
    Not a jazz bass but I put flats on my warwicks! I'm probably the one of few that don't use rounds in warwicks

19. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have chromes on my Jazz. I love it!