Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-Raj, Tell us about Orange Stuff!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, May 29, 2005.

1. Now that you're the Sales manager of Orange Amplification, tell us some details about Orange stuff, as I'm pretty curious.

-How's the tone of the 200 watt tube head (forget the exact name)
    -How much do they usually run USD?
    -What are those cabs like?
    -How much do they run USD?
    -Got any plans for a 2x15? :ninja:

Congratulations on the job!

P.S. Try to keep it pretty unbiased... ;)

2. I'll chip in my experience with Orange amps-
    the rehearsal studio my original band uses, Rooz, has an Orange bass stack (not sure of the config, but probably a 1X15 and a 4X10) in their stage room, and I had to use it for a gig there.

the 3 band EQ is limited- not sure if it's passive (cut only)?
    but i had trouble getting enough high-mid bite that usually comes from a Trace Elliot 4X10 set flat. I tried cutting the lows and boosting the highs and mids, but the mids seemed to be in the low mid region.

overall it seems more geared to a fat retro tone.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    since j-raj is barred from talking price and I've been shooting the breeze about snagging one I'll let you know what I know...

The AD200B is $1879 on the street and unless there is a used or "B-stock" item out there floating around no-one can sell one for less than that. They are priced like Boogie stuff. The manufacturer sets the selling price.

They are a very basic tone stack that is very sensitive to input / receptive to players subtleties. I never asked about cabinets though.

Orange will be at NAMM booth 2602.

(hope you don't mind j-raj ;) )

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Thanks James... plus thanks for pointing this thread out to me. Since I have started at Orange, I haven't surfed at all like I used to at my last day-gig... I just flat out enjoy my job way too much and I'm up to my eyeballs in work! Reps and Dealer keep me very busy!!!!!

The OBC410 and OBC115 are the only cabs that we offer for bass. They are loaded with Eminence Speakers and they are stunning.

The AD200b is the only Head that we make for bass. It's 200 watts of pure warm tubey fun... those darn things will knock a filling loose. The tone is fat, full and completely amazing!

Should you have other questions, feel free to PM-me... I'll try to get to all of them on 'off' hours.

[​IMG]

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, just one question, J: Can you hook me up with one of her? :D

6. Oh man, ever since hearing the tone on Weezer's "Say it Ain't So' and finding out he used an Orange head I've gassed for one...

Maybe in a year or so I'll think about a ABD200 and and OBC215.

Oh, wait, no 2x15? I think it would be a good addition...

:bag:

P.S. Are you gonna start using Orange stuff yourself?

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Congrats, J-raj! I hope you enjoy the new gig. :)

Tom.

8. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That's the tone I had in my heads for my first few years of GAS. So so thick.

Indeed. That is a dream job. :)

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You need to make one of them for bass...

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    would love to adron, but if I remember correctly, she is one my bosses friends from the UK... little far from GA and AL.

this is the closest I see on our website (www.orangeamps.com):
    [​IMG]

yup. that is thick and tastey!

Tom,

Thanks man, I do. I have a great group of cats to work with, get to meet some interesting artists, and my day doesn't start till 10am.

I'll be at the NAMM booth (2602), which is real close to the Benavente booth!!!!

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That works for me!! :smug:

12. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Add to your GAS list, Tom. The amp, I mean.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It does look like a great head, but I'm pretty well stocked in the all tube head department!

Wait a minute. That argument has never stopped me before... :p

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yeah, I played with a guy that had 2 vintage Orange 1/2 stacks and had the most amazing tone I'd ever heard. I've been looking for a smaller all tube head to use when my 100lbs 400 watter isn't completely needed.

here is the actual bass amp :bassist:
    [​IMG]

http://www.orangeamps.com/

15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Doesn't Nate Newton of Converge use an Orange amp?

16. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I wonder what the FTC would have to say about this. AFAIK, the practice of forcing the selling price to conform to your standards is illegal. A good idea?? Sure. Does one of the companies I am a dealer for do the same? Yip. This is done in an effort to help the smaller dealers, as well as not "whore" the line out. The trouble, at least in my experience, is that some dealers will in fact sell for the MSP, and then toss in a free item of decent value. Case in point, MSP on an item is $1296. I can't sell it for less. Buy it from me, get a nice deal, and a sincere "thank you". Buy it elsewhere, you might get a "free" $100+ direct box in the deal. How does that A) protect the little guy, or B) keep the line from being whored out?? I dunno...

17. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yes

18. That makes me drool just lookin at it. So simple...

19. Bass Beast

Bass Beast

Feb 5, 2005
    Its a very nice amp, but it would be better if they went back to the baxandall tone knobs like the old oranges. On my amp the tone can be changed so much, it gives a lot of options.

20. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I want one... :(